Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlisted to Officer

1. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Help Enlisted to Officer

Advertisements
    Has anyone in here had a dh who changed from enlisted to officer? I think if dh stays in that is the best choice (IMO). I am curious how hard it was and how long it took.

Also, where can I get the requirements for it?
  2. Senior Member
    wow my hubby wants to do the same thing.. we are actually askin around about it..
    from what i can understand he gets out of active duty or something like that.. and he goes to school for 2 years and then comes back in as officer..BUT don't mark my word.. i'll ask my honey when he gets home ok girl.
    but it is a great idea! i love this idea for him because he doesn't have to wait to get promoted and all that.. some people it takes them years to get to E6 even E5 actually.. so its faster this way and he learns more and he benefits so much..
  3. ShutterbugBecca
    My DH was just commissioned last month through the LDO program. He made it on his second time applying. He's in Officer Training School right now in Newport, RI and graduates on April 11th.
    He was commissioned as a submarine electronics officer.
    Look into the LDO program as an option.
  4. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    They have the green to gold program, but i am not sure of what it consist of. Dh thought about it and decided against it.
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugBecca View Post
    My DH was just commissioned last month through the LDO program. He made it on his second time applying. He's in Officer Training School right now in Newport, RI and graduates on April 11th.
    He was commissioned as a submarine electronics officer.
    Look into the LDO program as an option.
    So he was enlisted on subs, and he went LDO on subs too? That is really cool - dh thought he couldn't stay on subs if he went LDO. That rocks if he could. Can you tell me more?
  6. Senior Member
    DB went through the LDO program as well as Shutterbug's DH. He attempted to be commissioned 5 times (5 yrs), before his submitted package/application was finally accepted on his last available try. If you ask him if it was worth it, or if the persistence paid off, you'd hear a resounding YES from him. He feels himself to be a 'self-made man'.

I think the Mustangs of the fleet are among the prouder members. Because they were former enlisted, they know first hand what the crew they serve have experienced. There earn tremendous respect from above and below in rank.

I believe however that aside from this benefit, there is a limit as to how far one can climb. Had DB not gone enlisted first, I feel he may have been in the running to promote even higher. There are some CPTs, but not sure if any ADMs right now among LDOs. DB will be forced out at 30 yrs, which he's coming up to shortly, without promoting to CDR. The LDO process can take away precious time and limit your area of speciality quite a bit. Overall though, a wonderful way to go.
  7. ShutterbugBecca
    Hi! Yes, we could have stayed on subs if we had chosen to. But, there were no billets on subs available that would give him his warfare pin. He needs his warfare pin to be promotable later in his career.
    We could have gone to a tender in Guam and he would have earned a warfare pin, but it was full. We also could have gone to a few subs in groton for a warfare pin, but they were also full. There were lots of shore duty billets available too that we could have chosen, but of course, they don't come with warfare pins.
    So we were offered a chance to go to a carrier for one tour. He will earn his warfare pin and then we'll either go on to shore duty somewhere or back to the sub world.

I'm not sure if it's rare to be able to stay in the sub world or not, but that is how it worked for us. I know that some chiefs who apply for this program get picked up as Warrant Officers, and maybe they have to leave the sub world. DH made LDO which means that he can one day take command of a ship if it ever comes open for him.
    We were prior enlisted for 15 years on subs, so it's totally possible to make LDO and stay in the sub world.
  8. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugBecca View Post
    Hi! Yes, we could have stayed on subs if we had chosen to. But, there were no billets on subs available that would give him his warfare pin. He needs his warfare pin to be promotable later in his career.
    We could have gone to a tender in Guam and he would have earned a warfare pin, but it was full. We also could have gone to a few subs in groton for a warfare pin, but they were also full. There were lots of shore duty billets available too that we could have chosen, but of course, they don't come with warfare pins.
    So we were offered a chance to go to a carrier for one tour. He will earn his warfare pin and then we'll either go on to shore duty somewhere or back to the sub world.

I'm not sure if it's rare to be able to stay in the sub world or not, but that is how it worked for us. I know that some chiefs who apply for this program get picked up as Warrant Officers, and maybe they have to leave the sub world. DH made LDO which means that he can one day take command of a ship if it ever comes open for him.
    We were prior enlisted for 15 years on subs, so it's totally possible to make LDO and stay in the sub world.
    Oh my gosh, you have seriously made my day.
    Dh is so torn between trying to make officer and staying subs. He really thought that since the nuclear option of STA-21 wasn't open to him, that he wouldn't be able to do both. I'm going to print this out for him to read when he gets home!

SezzySue, sorry for the TJ!
  9. ShutterbugBecca
    My husband was a sonar tech in subs if that helps.
    Keep in mind that while it is possible to stay on subs, it's not guarenteed. You have to weigh the possibility that you might have to get out of your comfort zone.
  10. Senior Member
    My dh is in the process of putting his package together. There are many package for going officer. He needs to contact a counselor who can help him explore the options and figure out which one may work best for him. There are many restrictions on each package, varying from age, to what type of a degree you must get, how much tuition assistance you will get, to grade point average he must carry, to what benefits he may or may not lose. Make sure he does his homework before he commits to anything.
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast