Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Com's

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Question Pre-Com's

Advertisements
    OK, I know Brandi and Jason are on one. But I know his ship is still in the "building" phase. Has anyone already gone through the whole process from pre-com to active status? what all does it entail. So far we have been told that we are going to VA in July. And then May - Sept 09 DH will be in New Orleans to ride the ship to New York and then to Norfolk. I remember when the Reagan first got here, it was gone A LOT. I know that there is a lot of testing and what not that has to be done.

Am I pretty much right that DH isnt going to be home much once he heads to New Orleans?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Typically, after the ship is commissioned, they actually DON'T stay gone that much b/c the ships tend to have a lot of issues that need to be worked out once they actually see what needs to be fixed. When he leaves to ride the ship over, he'll probably be gone for 3-4 months or so, then they'll come in to commission, then eventually start some work ups after that but I'll tell you now that you will probably never see a deployment with that ship unless he's on there for more than 3 years. A lot of the guys with Jason's command are sort of griping about the whole situation b/c they spend all of this time going to all kinds of schooling to learn about the ship and how to do things on deployment but then most of those guys who do all of this schooling end up rotating off before it even deploys.

I'm assuming he is probably phase 3 or 4 then?
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I reread your post and realized you were not talking about deployments. Yeah, they go out frequently for workups but I think the work ups with precoms are typically more frequent but shorter than average. So, it'll probably equate to nearly the same as a regular ship but they may have longer hours though
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure what phase the ship is in. I know it is scheduled to be in Norfolk by the end of next year and it was just christened on the 1st of March. Pre-com's are one of the things that I have NEVER dealt with.

I was telling my mom about it and she got excited. She thought we were coming there! I wish we were. But we will definately go down for part of the summer that DH is down there. Might as well! LOL
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

He'll be there to finish testing it, sea trials and there will probably be a lot of shift work.

I am basing this off sub precoms though. Tony left the precom right before sea trials but he knew exactly what the schedule was going to be. It would have sucked.... but a large portion of the precom schedule sucked anyway.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    He'll be there to finish testing it, sea trials and there will probably be a lot of shirt work.

I am basing this off sub precoms though. ony left the precom right before sea trials but he knew exactly what the schedule was going to be. It would have sucked.... but a large portion of the precom schedule sucked anyway.
    yea, he will still have 2.5 years on it once it's delivered to Norfolk.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    yea, he will still have 2.5 years on it once it's delivered to Norfolk.

Once it is delivered to VA it wont be as bad as when he first gets on it. The testing and sea trials are the worse.
  8. Thank You Lord for Our Blessings!!!
    Thank You Lord for Our Blessings!!!
    we are on a pre-com right now but it is a sub. The hours are very long and most the time 7 days a week. Since we started sea trials in december they have been gone alot but most of the time for a short period of time and then home a little and gone again.

I would say that is it very hard on the family and the crew. We know next time never to pick one again.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    I would say that is it very hard on the family and the crew. We know next time never to pick one again.
    same here. we will never, ever do precom again. ever! just too much hassle and crap to go with it
  10. Senior Member
    Dh is on a precom, but it is still in the "never-ending" building stage. I've heard sea trials are terrible, but at this point we are both looking forward to that part because they have been sitting twiddling their thumbs for the past 2 years, some of the crew even longer. At this point we just want him on a ship, at sea, getting sea pay and doing something that will look good to a board!
    Dh's ship has two crews so it is a little different, but the "plan" for dh is that they will leave around 4 months prior to commissioning, then alternate with the other crew for bringing the ship to its homeport, as well as doing sea trials and all that. If there wasn't going to be two crews he would be gone for about 12-14 months. So it is very possible you won't see much of him after commissioning, but again, we haven't lived it yet.
    I read your other thread about how his orders have been changed, that really stinks! I can imagine you are really having to adjust right now. Sorry that happened. The one good thing is that until he goes to New Orleans you should see a lot of your dh. We have seen more of dh at this command than we ever had. And, expect delays, delays, and more delays! I don't know if it just dh's ship, but it has been pushed back and pushed back. Nothing is set in stone right now, but I'm sure you are more than aware of that, that is how the Navy is!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast