Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ombudsman on a shore command?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Ombudsman on a shore command?

Advertisements
    Hey I was just wondering if any of you have ever been an Ombudsman for a shore command, and if so, how did it differ than a regular Ombudsman (since there isn't deployments, etc.). What were your "job duties"? What were the requirements to be one?

TIA!
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'd think it would a much easier task. I've personally never had any contact info for an ombudsman while DH was on shore duty, but I know that the policy on that has changed, and they now want every sailor and their families to have an ombusdman. (It was mentioned at the reg. spouse meeting)

Are you thinking of accepting the position Trey? I think you'd be great at it!!!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    I'd think it would a much easier task. I've personally never had any contact info for an ombudsman while DH was on shore duty, but I know that the policy on that has changed, and they now want every sailor and their families to have an ombusdman. (It was mentioned at the reg. spouse meeting)

Are you thinking of accepting the position Trey? I think you'd be great at it!!!
    Yeah, well they are looking for one at Ryan's command, but I don't want to take on too much between school and possibly working and still staying at home with Tooters. Plus, we only have one year left at this command, but he is hoping to extend for one year, so I am not even sure that I would qualify. But I love helping people and I think I have a lot of Navy knowledge, so I thought I would do some research.

And I am like you Melissa, I have NEVER had an Ombudsman before through the two commands we have been with in my 4+ years as a SO, so it's definitely something I would like to do for other wives.

Thanks for the help!
  4. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    Yeah, well they are looking for one at Ryan's command, but I don't want to take on too much between school and possibly working and still staying at home with Tooters. Plus, we only have one year left at this command, but he is hoping to extend for one year, so I am not even sure that I would qualify. But I love helping people and I think I have a lot of Navy knowledge, so I thought I would do some research.

And I am like you Melissa, I have NEVER had an Ombudsman before through the two commands we have been with in my 4+ years as a SO, so it's definitely something I would like to do for other wives.

Thanks for the help!
    I think as a shore command ombudsman that you wouldn't have to spend much time on "duties"... maybe an email once a week just to check on morale, let them know about any updates/special offers you get (a couple of my friends have been ombuds. and they were always getting MWR newsletters) and probably some infrequent contact with CMC and CO.

I think it's great that you'd volunteer. I was FRG pres. at his last command and had a blast doing it.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

5. Senior Member
    Trey I always suggested that the women who want to become an ombudsman start out at a shore ombudsman. Stats show that families have less problems while the sailor is home. The duties for you will be cut by 3/4's while on shore. A monthly newsletter, and occasional calls, and maybe two functions a year are more than likely what you'll have to deal with. Of course you'll have situations arise but 9 times out of 10 it will be pretty easy.
  6. Senior Member
    Any word on the ombudsman job?
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah, when I asked my hubby to get info, they had already filled it. I guess he was told about it 3 months ago, and he tells me two weeks ago they were looking for one.

I wonder if I should use that same type of thinking about the hot rod show coming up?

Thanks for asking and your help though! I was really interested in pursuing it...
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    Yeah, when I asked my hubby to get info, they had already filled it. I guess he was told about it 3 months ago, and he tells me two weeks ago they were looking for one.

I wonder if I should use that same type of thinking about the hot rod show coming up?

Thanks for asking and your help though! I was really interested in pursuing it...
    OMG totally typical of a man huh? Is your command large enough that they'd need or want a second ombudsman or even an assistant for her?
  9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    lol are not they all like that?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisha View Post
    OMG totally typical of a man huh? Is your command large enough that they'd need or want a second ombudsman or even an assistant for her?
    Yeah exactly! The thing is, he says they filled it a couple of weeks afterwards, yet I haven't heard ANYTHING from her! So I was thinking about asking Ryan to give me a contact for her... do you think it's rude to ask if she needs an assistant, or to contact her asking if she is going to be keeping the wives up to date?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast