Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Letters to soldiers in basic

  1. Fresh Newbie
    LexieLynn's Avatar
    LexieLynn is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    #1

    Letters to soldiers in basic

    Advertisements
    This guy i've been talking to has started his basic at Fort Benning and I have received his first letter with no address. I know the second he sends me will have his actual return address on it, but i was wondering about what/ how much i can send back. I read on other sites that some people send letters everyday and other only once they get a letter back from their SO. Is anyone familiar with that base, or any advice about how much time they get read letter and what i could send and what not to send.I dont want to send something and that be the reason they get in trouble or have him being teased. I appreciate it so much.
  2. Senior Member
    AdaraMarie's Avatar
    AdaraMarie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    A Midwest State
    Posts
    644
    #2
    My SO recently got back from Fort Benning. Yours is probably in reception right now and doesn't have an address. He should get one within another 2-3 weeks of being there. I sent a letter every single day to my SO when he was there. Dont be upset if you dont get one back, they are very busy in basic and sometimes dont have time, but I can assure you the letters he gets from you will be very welcoming. My SO told me my letters helped him feel normal and apart of our life again. Some days I sent two letters. SO told me that no one read his letters. If you look on Fort Bennings website there are guidelines on what you can and cannot send and do with the letters. Im not sure where, but I know I read it when SO was there. DO NOT send any items that they do not specifically ask for tho and keep the boxes very plane Jane, no glitter, kisses, smells, food etc. I sent my SO socks, toothpaste, and some other hygiene and clothing items and that was it.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    LexieLynn's Avatar
    LexieLynn is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    #3
    How often do they get to read the letters? I dont want to send too many and him not get enough time to read them.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    LexieLynn's Avatar
    LexieLynn is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    My SO recently got back from Fort Benning. Yours is probably in reception right now and doesn't have an address. He should get one within another 2-3 weeks of being there. I sent a letter every single day to my SO when he was there. Dont be upset if you dont get one back, they are very busy in basic and sometimes dont have time, but I can assure you the letters he gets from you will be very welcoming. My SO told me my letters helped him feel normal and apart of our life again. Some days I sent two letters. SO told me that no one read his letters. If you look on Fort Bennings website there are guidelines on what you can and cannot send and do with the letters. Im not sure where, but I know I read it when SO was there. DO NOT send any items that they do not specifically ask for tho and keep the boxes very plane Jane, no glitter, kisses, smells, food etc. I sent my SO socks, toothpaste, and some other hygiene and clothing items and that was it.
    How often do thy get to read the letters? i dont want to send too many for him not to read.
  5. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #5
    Try to keep the letters plain on the outside: white envelope not colored, no stickers, no perfume, nothing attention grabbing. Not sure what you can send in packages (in the Marines they only allow you to send letters to boot camp) but don't send candy. Really he's able to buy what he needs there so I wouldn't send anything but letters and stamps.

    I used to get several letters from DH a week. Make sure to number or date your letters so that your SO can read them in the correct order since he'll likely get several of yours at one time.




  6. Senior Member
    AdaraMarie's Avatar
    AdaraMarie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    A Midwest State
    Posts
    644
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LexieLynn View Post
    How often do thy get to read the letters? i dont want to send too many for him not to read.
    From my understanding they can get mail everyday unless they are out doing training in the field and wont be coming back to the barracks for the night. It all depends on the DS. DH told me that one Platoon didnt get mail for a week and they held it on the DS desk because the Platoon was not working as a team. One letter can take up to 10 days before your SO will get it because of how they process mail there. Your SO should get instructions on how to send a letter. My DHs platoon had plain white envelopes with nothing on them but the other Platoons asked for you to put a specific color in the left corner of the envelope to help process them faster. When you get his address he should tell you or you need to ask how they want the envelopes addressed.
  7. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina and deployed
    Posts
    1,603
    #7
    I sent my husband a letter every single day. He said that one guy got quite a few letters in one day. He was given so many of them and the rest he was made to do push ups to get them. Of course he was given all of his mail because they aren't supposed to withhold mail from them. Don't put anything extra on the outside of the envelope unless you are told to do so. I had to write the address on the front and on the back I had to write what platoon he was in so that it could be processed faster. And if the envelope is thick they will have to open it in front of the DS to make sure that nothing was sent that they are not allowed to have. DH said they always felt the edges of the envelope to feel for pictures. I sent some pictures but the DS never felt it cause of how I put it in the envelope.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    LexieLynn's Avatar
    LexieLynn is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I sent my husband a letter every single day. He said that one guy got quite a few letters in one day. He was given so many of them and the rest he was made to do push ups to get them. Of course he was given all of his mail because they aren't supposed to withhold mail from them. Don't put anything extra on the outside of the envelope unless you are told to do so. I had to write the address on the front and on the back I had to write what platoon he was in so that it could be processed faster. And if the envelope is thick they will have to open it in front of the DS to make sure that nothing was sent that they are not allowed to have. DH said they always felt the edges of the envelope to feel for pictures. I sent some pictures but the DS never felt it cause of how I put it in the envelope.
    what does DH mean? will the first letter with the address explain all the stuff im suppose to do on the letter to make it process?
  9. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina and deployed
    Posts
    1,603
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LexieLynn View Post
    what does DH mean? will the first letter with the address explain all the stuff im suppose to do on the letter to make it process?
    DH means dear/darn husband. If he didn't call you with his address and directions on how to address the envelope, than he should write that in the first letter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •