Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Life after training - how much did he change?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Life after training - how much did he change?

Advertisements
    Question for the ladies who's S/O left then came back from Basic Training...how much different was he when he came back, if he was any different at all?

Before my man left he told me something that's been stuck in my head. He said he was worried how he would adapt back to "normal life" after being away for 14 weeks. I'm sure once he gets back it may take a couple weeks to adjust back to civilian life, but I'm just hoping he won't turn into too much of an asshole... Partly kidding about that, he's not that type of guy. I expect him to be a little different once he gets back and I don't mean this in a selfish way but I hope he's not too much different. I love him just how he is and don't want him to drastically change...

Anyhow, any advice would be nice
  2. Senior Member
    My SO is still in BCT, and I go and see him for family day really soon... I havent noticed a change when I talk to him, but in his letters I feel like he has really realized what I do for him as a wife and he has a new appreciation for me and his family. Not to say he was a bad husband, he's always been amazing to me... but seems like he has had this "ah-ha" moment about what family really means.
  3. Moderator

Not different at all.

Of course, both of his parents were also active duty Air Force, so he was pretty much raised like a recruit.
  4. Senior Member
    My husband didn't really change much at all. I remember when we would write or call in basic he seemed different and I'm sure that was from stress or nerves. I spent the day with him when he graduated and he was very very reserved, but that went away.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Not different at all.

Of course, both of his parents were also active duty Air Force, so he was pretty much raised like a recruit.
    Well that's good to know. My fiance was also raised in a military family. His dad was a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force, so he was pretty much raised like a recruit as well.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PetesGirl97 View Post
    Well that's good to know. My fiance was also raised in a military family. His dad was a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force, so he was pretty much raised like a recruit as well.
    Yeah, if it's something he's already pretty familiar with, I wouldn't anticipate a ton of major change. That said, people change all the time- he will, you will- you just have to make sure you're changing in the same direction.
  7. Senior Member
    He's more polite. Hes always been polite, but he says ma'am/sir when talking to EVERYONE. He's also more driven to get things done. School work and house work in general. Which I love cause he didn't help much with house work before basic. When he first got to AIT and had the weekends/evenings off he didn't know what to do. I would tell him to relax and do what he wanted. But he was so used to always doing something that he felt he might forget something or get in trouble. He got bored easily. But he got back to his normal self. Nothing drastic changed about him
  8. Regular Member
    The first day after graduation he felt awkward because he didn't know how to handle the freedom of liberty after not having it. But he hasn't changed at all other than that. He appreciates our relationship more, not that he didn't before, but that the distance makes it more special he says. I wouldn't worry! There's always an adjustment period.