Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want better dental/vision benefits?

1. LadyHawk

Do you want better dental/vision benefits?

Advertisements
    We had to take out an emergency personal loan to cover our sons' dental work this year. And listen to my girlfriend's story:

This year my daughter, age 4, was diagnosed as "legally blind." Tricare paid for one visit to the eye doctor. She has required two follow up appointments this year that I must pay for out of pocket. In addition, I must pay for lenses and frames. Because her vision is so poor, we have had to "ease" her into her full perscription. With two lens changes this year, and more on the way, this has become very expensive for my family. It is sad that if my daughter's medical issues were with any other part of her body, that she would have coverage. But because it is with her eyes, we have to pay for it ourselves. Military families deserve better vision coverage than the single eye exam per year offered now.

I am currently drafting a proposal advocating for the expansion of these benefits (active duty dependents should have free non-cosmetic dental and vision care) that I will be presenting to elected officials at the end of the month. In the meantime, I have created a petition that people can sign to show their support.

Please go to: http://www.militaryspousesforchange....s_petition.php and sign up if you support the bill.

If you could post a bulletin elsewhere and ask others to sign the petition, that would be wonderful!

Please spread the word!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Wouldn't the military need to get that money from somewhere? I know the budget is stretched as it is. Where would it come from? I'm genuinely curious.
  3. Senior Member
    i know personally that the "only one visit a year" is a crock. you can go more times, you just have to get a referral from your doctor sent in to tricare. we thought my son was going to need eye surgery and tricare approved our referral request for 16 office visits with one dr and like 10 with the other one for this year

4. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeaudet View Post
    i know personally that the "only one visit a year" is a crock. you can go more times, you just have to get a referral from your doctor sent in to tricare. we thought my son was going to need eye surgery and tricare approved our referral request for 16 office visits with one dr and like 10 with the other one for this year
    I have also had more than one visit with several referral's. The only thing that is going to cost me alot of money with dental is braces for the kids.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    It would be nice to have a better dental and vision plan, but it really isn't too different from most other employers. I do supplement mine with coverage through my civilian employer also. It costs me about $12 a pay period for dental and $5 for vision coverage.
  6. Senior Member
    your best option here might be supplemental insurance either individually, or only on your kids, or through an employer (civilian). There are options out there for individual/family supplemental vision/dental insurance. I generally would suggest this. Although, your daughter's "legally blind" might be seen as a pre-existing condition and therefor not covered, so you'd really have to do your research and ask around.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    and alot of special needs will qualify for medicaid--- that will be like a gap insurance...
  8. Senior Member
    I think our medical is good compared to other health care plans!!

When my hubby wasn't in the military we had to pay for all dental work our selfs . For medical we had a 200.00 deductible and 25 .00 copay. They also would not pay anything more for vision then tricare does.
  9. smerf
    i wish dental was free for the soldiers family.ugh..vision would be nice too.
  10. LadyHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    Wouldn't the military need to get that money from somewhere? I know the budget is stretched as it is. Where would it come from? I'm genuinely curious.
    Well, I will leave that up to the congressional sponsor to decide, but it won't be that expensive to implement. One could ask where were we going to get the money for the war and yet somehow we always manage to find billions upon billions for that. If the government wants to do it, it can find the funds.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast