Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: College funds and medical care for navy wife?

1. Germany is my home!
    Germany is my home!

College funds and medical care for navy wife?

Advertisements
    I am a soon to be navy wive and I have two mayor questions:

1. I intend to go to College once we are married and wanted to ask if and how much the Navy pays? I heard the pay up to 75% but I'm not sure.

2. I also intend to get a reduction...would the insurance cover that?
  2. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    The Navy won't pay for you to go to college. That's a common misunderstanding. There are alot of spouse grants & stuff out there though.

You're talking of a breast reduction, I take it. The military will cover that but the process is rough. You have to be a certain weight, be finished having kids, sometimes prove (documented history) that having larger boobs is causing you physical pain. Sometimes if your boobs are deformed (one's larger than the other, they're very saggy, etc), they'll give you one. The wait for the surgery is usually pretty long.

3. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the navy pay for breast reduction, but they won't pay for college.

Like AG2Wife said though, there is alot out there for spouses. Here in South carolina, they set aside lottery money to help military spouses pay for college at instate facilities. I'm not sure what your options in Germany would be, but I'd be willing to bet there are grants out there specifically for military spouses overseas. You just have to find them. Find out where the navy college office is at your base and see if you can get in to talk to an education counselour and see what's available to you.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i just went to college and the navy didn't pay for it at all. your not entitled to his GI Bill, some states do give military family members an instate tution break though cause your not techincally a resident of that state if you just get there. or vote in another one. as for any plastic surgery it can be done but it has to be done for a medical reason, a reduction would be because you have back problems and it needs to be well documented as well and done in a military hospital i believe. if you visit the Tricare website you can get all that info. also you can look into taking classes on base through the navy college as well.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by dchiocca View Post
    I am a soon to be navy wive and I have two mayor questions:

1. I intend to go to College once we are married and wanted to ask if and how much the Navy pays? I heard the pay up to 75% but I'm not sure.

2. I also intend to get a reduction...would the insurance cover that?
    The ladies are right, the Navy doesn't pay for your college. If you are overseas though (are you from America or Germany) they offer some money, but it's not a lot. Here is some more info;

The Spouse Tuition Aid Program is open only to spouses residing with the active duty servicemember stationed at overseas locations. The program provides a grant of up to 50% of tuition for on-base education programs, up to a maximum of $300 per undergraduate term, or $350 per graduate term, not to exceed $1,500/$1,750 per academic year. Awards are based on financial need. STAP is administered locally by an NMCRS office overseas. An applicant need not be a full-time student.