Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marriage...

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

marriage...

Advertisements
    So I've had other posts where I've asked about this but I've never really gotten anything specific. And now it's getting to the point where DB and I have been talking alot and we are considering marriage. He is an E-4 in the navy and he hasn't gotten his orders yet. We want to be together more than anything, and have realized it's not possible for me to live where he is because he won't be able to stay with me. What exactly are the rules about marriage and orders and timelines. I'm so NEW at this it isn't even funny!!! I wish I knew more. I tried googling it and now I'm even more confused. DB was going to talk to someone today at his work about it, but he has board today so I imagine he might forget .

So...what are the rules...what can I do?!

DB was thinking about getting permission now to marry and then doing it when he's on leave and we go home (for the month of October)...what do you think?? Good Idea?? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    like i told you in PM, if you get married after he has his orders you have to wait until you get "recognized" (for lack of a better word). the sooner the better if you want to move with him and have the navy move you. that's why dh and i did the courthouse and then had a church ceremony later
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    OOooohhh Good idea
  4. Senior Member
    I would recommend you get married sooner rather than later. My DB got orders to move overseas and now we're rushing to try and get me over there - it'll be a LOT harder if he gets orders to move somewhere (esp. overseas) and you're not married. I say this b/c if you're not married, he will get unaccompanied orders which means the military will not pay for you to move over there. THen again, there are always certain orders that he may get to other countries that they you may not be allowed to go over with him. I'm new with all of this too - I'm not in the military either. So, I've posted a lot of "new to the military" questions. Let me know if you have any other questions!!
  5. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    like i told you in PM, if you get married after he has his orders you have to wait until you get "recognized" (for lack of a better word). the sooner the better if you want to move with him and have the navy move you. that's why dh and i did the courthouse and then had a church ceremony later
    In reference to the bolded part - That is what DH and I did too.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    hey thanks guys, i will talk to him about it when he gets home. i'd rather save up anyways and have a nice church wedding later.
  7. Senior Member
    For us, Dh proposed in Feb, got orders 2 weeks later, and we got married in April, in a small ceremony at the base chapel. Then we were able to add me on to the orders, since they weren't hardcopy yet, and had our big wedding in july and we moved here to Guam about 2 weeks after that! I def. reccommend getting married sooner than later, and then have a bigger ceremony later, it was great!
    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I agree with the others about getting married sooner. he doesn't have to get permission to get married. Just needs to let them know what is going on. he needs to let his boss know so there can be help on his end.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    I agree with the others about getting married sooner. he doesn't have to get permission to get married. Just needs to let them know what is going on. he needs to let his boss know so there can be help on his end.
    We got married after DH got his orders, but he wasn't at his duty station yet, so they didn't move me..but it wasn't a big deal for us since we were staying on the east coast. I would get married sooner though in case it is far away.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    definately get married sooner, you want to be put on the orders now before they become permanent...i was lucky enough that i got to plan a big wedding in a short time because my parents dished out the cash...but my sister did the whole court house thing with her navy husband and she is happy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast