Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Letter from Tricare about special program

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Question Letter from Tricare about special program

Advertisements
    Did anyone else get a letter from Tricare saying you've automatically been enrolled in a special program for disease management? It was very vague about more benefits being available, and that I'm automatically enrolled.

It said a nurse would call with further details, but I'm curious now.

So anyone else? Do you know anything more about it than the letter says? Have you been contacted yet by the nurse?
  2. Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    nope, i got a letter from them the other day, but all it said was to send it back if i did NOT want to be automatically re enrolled in tricare. not to be nosy, but do you maybe have a chronic condition that needs to be monitored and that's why they're offering it to you?
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I guess it's about my diabetes. I'm really curious, because I have wanted for a while to be able to go to a nutrionist... so I'm hoping that becomes an option through this new program.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    I guess it's about my diabetes. I'm really curious, because I have wanted for a while to be able to go to a nutrionist... so I'm hoping that becomes an option through this new program.
    I'm diabetic as well, I wonder if I'll get a letter too....
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    So the nurse called today and it is about diabetes. But, it's not actually from Tricare - it's from Humana. So when we move in December, this program will not be available.

The program is just a one-on-one relationship with a Humana nurse. You give her all your meds, dosages, labs, etc. and then you go over things to make sure all your bases are covered. Then if you have diabetes specific questions, you can ask here whenever you want. I'm thinking this will save them money on extra doctor visits when you just need info or advice. I don't know if she'll tell me anything new, but I'm always up for learning more about diabetes and managing it well. We have an appointment for a one hour phone consult to go over everything and get my file started.

It's nice that they are doing this, but it's too bad it's not a Tricare program that can move with me.

Also, if you have Diabetes and you're in the Humana area (which is the Southeast) you might not get a letter if your billing doesn't tip them off to your diabetes. Something about their privacy act, and how they can't root around in your files... so if the billing tips the computer off, that's how you get the letter. So you could get overlooked.
  6. ilovemickeymost
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    My daughter has diabetes, too. Are you required to go to docs on base? Our endo doc has a nutrishionist, so its all part of the appointment. And the last endo we went to it was the same way. I don't know why they wouldn't cover it if your doc wrote a referral. I know so much of tricare is different,so I appoligize if some of this doesn't fit you. We didn't recieve a letter though.
  7. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemickeymost View Post
    My daughter has diabetes, too. Are you required to go to docs on base? Our endo doc has a nutrishionist, so its all part of the appointment. And the last endo we went to it was the same way. I don't know why they wouldn't cover it if your doc wrote a referral. I know so much of tricare is different,so I appoligize if some of this doesn't fit you. We didn't recieve a letter though.
    Here, you are required to see a PCM on base. But for many reasons, I complained, and now I see a regular doctor out in town who I love. The base has a nutrionist (or at least they did when I moved here - seems a lot has changed since I stopped going there) but she just does the very very basics, no meal planning, no in-depth details, no help really beyond what you can read in a basic pamphlet on your own. It's kind of a standard lecture, and that's that. Since she was available, they wouldn't authorize me to see someone out in town, referral or not. Oh, and she worked out of the gym, and it was all very unimpressive to say the least.
    Last edited by Kristen; 09-08-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typos typos typos... I can't type today