• other (whatever other might cover)

1 5.88%

Thread: Servicemembers Civil Relief Act

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act

Advertisements
    Just curious,
    who here knows what the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act is?
    Heard of it but no clue?
    Know it and understand what it is?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    is it the same as the soldiers and sailors relief act?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its the new updated version, but basically, same idea
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. RockstarMom
  5. RockstarMom
    Doesn't really apply to us though, we have no "debt".
  6. Senior Member
    Oh ya I've heard about it and know what it can do for us. We don't have any dept to use it or though.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstarMom View Post
    Doesn't really apply to us though, we have no "debt".
    It has a lot more then debt, it concerns leases (car and home) law suits, divorces, taxes, life insurance, anything where there are more then three payments (you know that brand new excercise machine you bought at 3am off tv thats now gathering dust in your garage?) etc.
  8. ProudArmyWife
    I am clueless about it. Can someone tell me more about it!
  9. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service...vil_Relief_Act
    Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (formerly called the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act) is a United States federal law that protects soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines from being sued while in active military service of their country.

Despite the act's official title dating it to 1940, its origins can be traced as far back as the Civil War when the United States Congress passed a total moratorium on civil actions brought against Union soldiers and sailors. In basic terms, this meant that any legal action involving a civil matter was put on hold until after the soldier or sailor returned from the war. Examples of civil matters included breach of contract, bankruptcy, foreclosure or divorce proceedings.

Congress' intent in passing the moratorium was to protect both national interests and those of service members. First, Congress wanted service members to be able to fight the war without having to worry about problems that might arise at home. Secondly, because most soldiers and sailors during the Civil War were not well paid, it was difficult for them to honor their pre-service debts, such as mortgage payments or other credit.

Congressional concern about protecting the rights of service members was raised again during World War I when the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1918 was passed. Like the Civil War-era moratorium, the 1918 legislation was designed to protect the rights of service members while they were serving in the war. Although the 1918 Act did not include a total moratorium on civil actions, it did protect service members from such things as repossession of property, bankruptcy, foreclosure or other such actions while they were in harm's way. The 1918 Act stayed in effect until shortly after World War I, when it expired.

The present-day statute, essentially a reenactment of the 1918 law, was passed in 1940 to protect the rights of the millions of service members activated for World War II. The major difference between it and the 1918 version, other than minor modifications, was there was no provision for the Act to expire, as it did after World War I. Thus, since 1940, service members have received uninterrupted coverage under the Act. And indeed, congressional commitment and support for the Act has remained so strong, the Act has been amended more than 12 times since 1940 to keep pace with a changing military and a changing world, with the last amendments added in 2003 through the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act.

The Act may now be found in 50 U.S.C. Secs. 501-593.

10. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!