Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What benefits...

1. Senior Member

What benefits...

Advertisements
    what benefits does a soldier lose in a divorce?with kids? cuz im not exactly sure...i hear my ex will lose BAH and the little bit of extra pay he gets for being married. And how will the benefits work for the children after the divorce?i've tried finding this stuff out but i aint sure where to look or who to ask.

And it also sounds like he dont want to give me a divorce but stay seperated...cuz the other day he was talking about "our" BAH and base pay. when there aint no us. and me and the kids moving to where he is gonna be. how do i get him to deffinately do the paperwork before he leaves out of here..between late september and early november?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Military divorces are difficult, because you may be getting divorced under the laws of a different state that you are currently in.

You need to see an attorney who deals specifically with military divorces.

but in general...
    depending on children...he may lose the difference in dependent/non-dependent bah.

48 states have a no-fault divorce...meaning that as long as one party wants a divorce, the other can't prevent it. All states have some sort of waiting period. This could be a 1 year seperation where you have to prove the two of you did not live together.

Go see a military Family Attorney!!!
    Good luck
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    If he has dependents... meaning children, he will have BAH with dep.
    He will keep BAH in other words. If he has no kids & is under I think E-3, then he will lose BAH all together, I think.

The benefits (Tricare & United Concordia) will still be in effect after the divorce for the children. You just take the kids to a MTF.

It takes a while for a divorce to be finalized, which I'm sure you know. You can't MAKE him do the paperwork before he leaves. That's his prerogative

4. Senior Member
    the only extra money he gets for being married is his BAH and he either gets bah with dependants or bah without dependants

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeaudet View Post
    the only extra money he gets for being married is his BAH and he either gets bah with dependants or bah without dependants
    It Is BAH single (If he does not have custody) with a differential for the child support. It is slightly lower than the BAH with Dependents. Your children will still get Tricare and Concordia Dental. He will also be ineligible for housing if the children are not in his custory more than a specific time, about 10 months I believe.