Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marriage and deployment...help.

1. foreverurz23

Marriage and deployment...help.

Advertisements
    My parents gave my DB (DF now) permission to marry me this feb on his R&R leave from iraq. Arnt there extra pay that he can get for this or something that i've heard from some of his battles?!?! or anything else i should know??? where do i start? a little advice please???
  2. foreverurz23
    by the way, i was talking about seperation pay? right? and hes in the active army
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No, there's no pay for being engaged. Now, are you saying they gave him permission while he was home, this past February, or he has permission to marry you this next February?

Do NOT schedule your wedding for the last day or two he's home. You will need time for him to bring you to post, take you to whoever he needs to take you to, bring in your marriage liscense, and get you enrolled in DEERS (blah blah something about making sure the military pays him for you ) and Tricare (insurance).

What can you do to get ready?
    GET YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Make sure it's an official copy of it. The actual document, not a copy of your own.
    GET YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD You already have one, but if you give yourself time, you can go in and get your name changed (if you change it) on your social after you get married. This makes getting enrolled in Deers easier.
    GET YOUR DRIVERS' LISCENCE This is THE most important thing you can have. You will not, EVER, be allowed on a military base without a photo id. It has to be a passport or a drivers' liscense (or state ID)

You will have to think about two important questions. Do you want life insurance (and if he has it, is he going to make you his beneficiary?) and how soon can you get on his orders?

If he is mid deployment, it almost helps you, because they have a buttload of time to get you on his orders, but basically, what happens is they put that when he's done with this deployment, the next time he changes posts (like a permanent change of station) there will be a wife involved. If you're not on his orders, YOU DON'T GO. And if you DO go, they don't pay to move you, which means that if they move him from the US to Guam, you're in charge of paying that air fare.

As soon as you're in DEERS, you will start getting Tricare (they'll sign you up for Tricare when he brings you in to get a spouse ID), (and he'll get..)Separation pay, Basic Allowance for Housing (that's what they call it in the Air Force), and Basic Allowance for Sustenance, which is basically a cost of living allowance.

(((A friend of mine wrote this for new Army Wives)))

:For any new wives to the Army there is a program that the Army sponsors to help you adjust to this new lifestyle. It is called AFTB (Army Family Team Building)

You can take the classes on base through ACS (Army Community Service) or you can take them on-line at:
    www.myarmylifetoo.com

If you are new to the Army and all the lingo, rank and customs have your head spinning I highly suggest looking into this class. :
  4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    No, there's no pay for being engaged. Now, are you saying they gave him permission while he was home, this past February, or he has permission to marry you this next February?

Do NOT schedule your wedding for the last day or two he's home. You will need time for him to bring you to post, take you to whoever he needs to take you to, bring in your marriage liscense, and get you enrolled in DEERS (blah blah something about making sure the military pays him for you ) and Tricare (insurance).

What can you do to get ready?
    GET YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Make sure it's an official copy of it. The actual document, not a copy of your own.
    GET YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD You already have one, but if you give yourself time, you can go in and get your name changed (if you change it) on your social after you get married. This makes getting enrolled in Deers easier.
    GET YOUR DRIVERS' LISCENCE This is THE most important thing you can have. You will not, EVER, be allowed on a military base without a photo id. It has to be a passport or a drivers' liscense (or state ID)

You will have to think about two important questions. Do you want life insurance (and if he has it, is he going to make you his beneficiary?) and how soon can you get on his orders?

If he is mid deployment, it almost helps you, because they have a buttload of time to get you on his orders, but basically, what happens is they put that when he's done with this deployment, the next time he changes posts (like a permanent change of station) there will be a wife involved. If you're not on his orders, YOU DON'T GO. And if you DO go, they don't pay to move you, which means that if they move him from the US to Guam, you're in charge of paying that air fare.

As soon as you're in DEERS, you will start getting Tricare (they'll sign you up for Tricare when he brings you in to get a spouse ID), (and he'll get..)Separation pay, Basic Allowance for Housing (that's what they call it in the Air Force), and Basic Allowance for Sustenance, which is basically a cost of living allowance.

(((A friend of mine wrote this for new Army Wives)))

:For any new wives to the Army there is a program that the Army sponsors to help you adjust to this new lifestyle. It is called AFTB (Army Family Team Building)

You can take the classes on base through ACS (Army Community Service) or you can take them on-line at:
    www.myarmylifetoo.com

If you are new to the Army and all the lingo, rank and customs have your head spinning I highly suggest looking into this class. :

Dang, way more than I had in my head. Ya...all of what she said above.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Just so you know, if he DOESN'T take you in and get you enrolled in all of this, they won't pay him married pay. They also will not consider his family (you, and any children you may or may not have together) when they figure out where they want to send him. That means that he may have to serve two years unaccompanied in Korea, because he's got nobody (in their eyes) to accompany him anyways. Then, even if you want to, you CAN'T go, unless you want to live off base. There are some bases where the people don't like Americans (at all) so this might not even be an option. I can't stress how important it is to make sure you have the time to get enrolled in DEERS and Tricare (which usually only takes one day, btw. It's not a week long extravaganza, but I've heard about people planning weddings with just enough time for a honeymoon, or on the last day of the deployment)
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Dang, way more than I had in my head. Ya...all of what she said above.

LOL!! Thanks...
  7. foreverurz23
    well the thing we were going to do was this coming up feb 2008 when he comes back on R&R leave from iraq was get married. and then he has to go back until october.