Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Have any of you heard of this

1. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.

Have any of you heard of this

Advertisements
    I forgot to ask about this when I first heard it and I thought about it today so I thought i'd ask.. When Tim and I bought our new truck the dealer was retired navy. He was telling us how he did about 10 years then went into the reserves so he could start a new career. He said that he retired from the reserves and when he did he still got his full pension that he would have recieved had he stayed active duty. So basically he told tim and I that as long as you do 20 years ( even if part of it is in the reserves) that you still get your full retirement( and not a partial retirement like we had assumed).. It just sounds alittle odd and too good to be true, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything thing about that. Thanks
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  2. Senior Member
    Pretty sure that is what they told my Dh when he joined the reserves. That was part of why he did so.

3. Senior Member
    They get retirement based on earned points I think, not years. They earn those points while being active. And I don't think they ca collect it as soon as they retire like AD can, they have to wait until they are 65. Although I am sure we have some reservist wives that could better inform you
    Needs work.
  4. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfspawprint View Post
    Pretty sure that is what they told my Dh when he joined the reserves. That was part of why he did so.
    Yeah we had never heard about it before, it its true that will be awesome, b/c after this enlistment db will have 13 years in so he might as well stay, but bc of his age he would be to old to join some police deptments( some have age restrictions but thats what he wants to do when he gets out...) after he retires, so if he could do that, then thats awesome

5. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    they have to wait until they are 65. Although I am sure we have some reservist wives that could better inform you
    That would be fine he just wants to make sure he'd be able to get a retirement from the navy after putting in so many years... hummmm this is all very interesting...

6. Senior Member
    My aunts EX DH is in the Navy reserves.......he always said that he had to wait until 65 to get the full retirement benefits
  7. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    cool so I guess it can be done... that way tim can still become a police officer yay, he'll be happy abuot this.

8. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I'm very curious about this as well. What pension would they recieve? Reserve or AD?

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  9. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I'm very curious about this as well. What pension would they recieve? Reserve or AD?
    ???? The car dealer told us he recieved AD, but it just seemed odd since he only did 10 years AD, and 10 years reserve...

10. Senior Member
    DH is in the reserves there are a lot of guys at his unit who have crossed over to the reserves to be able to retire and still get their pensions. 2 I know personally both are deployed with him right now. One is ex-Marine and the other was AD Army . As far as what type of pensions, I didnt know there was a difference. But I do know its on a point system. they get points for every "good" year they put in after the 20 years you can retire but the longer you stay and get more points the higher of a pension you can recieve.