Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tricare(this may be TMI)

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tricare(this may be TMI)

Advertisements
    Will they cover the cost of my husband getting a vasectomy? We've wanted to do this for a while.

Also, does anyone know the law on it in Texas? They told us here in Missouri that they can't do a vasectomy on anyone until they're at least 30 or have at least three kids
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    yes, tehy will cover it IF he meets the reqs. HE'll probably have to go to counseling, along with you, esp. since you only have one child. They prefer you to be 25 at least with 2+ kids, at least that is what the uroligst told us in May.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well, he'll be 25 in October, so I HOPE that's the age they give us

Birth control is starting to make me ill, and we are DONE with children. I don't know if that makes a difference, but we'll try...

Thanks for the info!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yes, tehy will cover it IF he meets the reqs. HE'll probably have to go to counseling, along with you, esp. since you only have one child. They prefer you to be 25 at least with 2+ kids, at least that is what the uroligst told us in May.
    this is all true, dh was 25 or 26 when he had his done but it was done a month before baby # 2 was born for us
  5. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Well, he'll be 25 in October, so I HOPE that's the age they give us

Birth control is starting to make me ill, and we are DONE with children. I don't know if that makes a difference, but we'll try...

Thanks for the info!
    They may want him to wait a few yeara, have you tried an IUD? I know Tricare is really starting to crack down on people ahving it done because soo many people wre getting it done young(my husband was one) and then only a few years later changing their minds(8 years for us) and wanting Tricare to cover reversals. It's definitely something to look into, but be prepared for them to say no at first. If you guys are sure it is what you want, it may take a year or two and some fighting with Tricare, but if you get a doc that is understanding it could also be really easy. The urologist here is strict, but I don't know what all of the ones stateside are like. I've heard stories though of some people being 25 with 4 kids and not being okayed by their docs.
    Good luck! If you have any questions, just ask me..I've been reading up on this crap for the last 2 years.
  6. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    For us it was 25 years or 3 kids. 9 years later we have changed our minds and just had the reversal resulting in this pregnancy. I was 23 with 3 kids when he had the Vasectomy done. A lot of things change when you are older. lol Tricare does not cover vasectomy reversals and only a few military facilities will do the procedure with a waiting list of 2 years. We spent a total of $10,000 in expenses to have our reversal done this included the reversal, hotels, rental car, plane tickets from Germany to the US, gas, kenneling our pets ect..
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I know we're young, but keeping in mind my chosen career path-more kids is just not an option. We do plan to foster, though.

Hopefully we'll find a cool doctor...and I have heard so many horror stories about the IUD. I'm terrified of it. My friend had hers removed 4 months ago and is STILL bleeding No way on that one!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

This was the requirement when DH had his. The Navy did it for him and they made the both of us come in for a consult before they would even schedule an appointment for the procedure.

Tricia
  9. Senior Member
    I am wondering what the same thing too. Everyone that we know that has has it done were all in different situations. Some where young some were older. Some with one kid some with 3