Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I have been elected

1. Senior Member

I have been elected

Advertisements
    I might have mentioned a while back that I was going to try to get on our ship support group board. I ran for president and was elected this weekend. We did not have any one running against anyone so really it is more like we volunteered and everyone agreed to it. LOL.

Anyway I am really excited and I have some new ideas that I would like to share with everyone. We all have the same goal of boosting our attendance.

So here is the biggie: When you have gone to support groups for commands what are things that you really enjoy? What do you look for in them? Besides wives being catty or rude were there things about how the meetings were run that you did not like?

Thank you all in advance.
    blinkies by Britt
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Just wanted to say ~congratulations~
  3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    COngrats!
    I know they are FRG's, but I like the meetings and activities when they do have some things that are adult only....my FRG does all activities basically as kid things(playgroups at the park, trips to the themepark which is very young child oriented), and it was nice when I was involved in one back in the states that they also had adult only things but had childcare provided(IE movie night for the ladies, no children except babes in arms-childcare was in the building, but the room was adults only so we could watch movies with more than a PG rating and talk about adult topics).
  4. Senior Member
    that is great. Congrats!!
  5. Senior Member
    Thank you. I do agree that having some child care is nice during the meetings. I would like to look into that also. I am really excited and I think we have a really good team in place that is going to bring some small changes that will help everyone. I am so excited to get started now.
    blinkies by Britt
  6. Senior Member
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's awesome, congrats!!
  8. Senior Member
    congrats!!!!! what we used for our old fsg was we found a couple of navy certified childcare providers and had them at every meeting. we paid them each about $20 and had a donation can at the meetings to go to the "pay the sitter fund". it worked really well. on the nights we made more than $20 in the can we would give the sitter extra $$ and put a little extra away to help pay for the nights we didnt get as much $$. also, it works best when you have your meetings on a set day of the month. say the second monday night at location X. i have noticed that this is a problem with the current FRG i am involved in. we have had like 3 meetings for everyone since the ship left in jan. we have had other "board only" meetings that are fine for planning, but there needs to be a schedule of frg meetings. that will also help boost your membership also. that way people dont have to think, "hmmm wonder when the next meeting will be" in the past we did baseball games with and without kids, ladies night out once a month and then picnics and stuff that the kids could come to. also, attendance usually isnt very high when the command isnt deployed. you will see your attendance grow when the command is getting ready to deploy. congrats again! sorry this was so long

9. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Congrats! I served as pres. of ours for DH's last command. It's a wonderful opportunity to meet some great people. We were a very small group (DH's crew was very small, we had less than 20 wives) I handled calendar updates and meeting information through emails, letting the wives know when, where and such. All the meetings were held at the USO, since it's free and they've got plenty of space. Since our hubbies were deployed, and I know I don't leave my child with sitters that often, I always had activities planned for the kiddos. They got to color pictures to mail to daddy and things like that. If you know anyone through the command that has older (teenage) children, you could see if they're interested in making some money by watching the littles in a separate room close by. Don't forget to ask for help, and delegate as much as possible!

Good luck!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need