Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok..Tricare anyone?

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

Help Ok..Tricare anyone?

Advertisements
    DF and I are getting married this Sat. Can someone kinda fill me in on what I need to do next to switch from my current healthcare to his? And what is the difference between Standard and Prime? Help!

2. TualaBear
    TualaBear
    Prime is what I have, I think its just priority over Standard.

BE SURE to have your old health insurance cancelled.. SURE SURE SURE. The dumbass bookkeeper that worked at my company didn't and I had my gallbladder and stones removed in January and STILL going through a nightmare b/c of the mixup in insurance carriers..
    Freedom & Tina Our Blog: http://thebaptistas.blogspot.com/
    "To disagree with me is your human right. To argue with me just because you think you are right and want to see me wrong makes you legally retarded."
  3. Senior Member
    He will have to enroll you into DEERS and all that jazz. I have Prime too and It's pretty easy to get enrolled into Tricare.
  4. Senior Member
    You want to be enrolled in Prime if you can. Standard is less coverage. You have 80/20 coverage which means you're responsible for 20% of the cost of things. Prime is 100% coverage as far as I understood it from the Tricare people.

Here's the 800 number for Triwest, which if you're in San Diego is who you wanna talk to. They should be able to help better explain everything to you. 800-242-6788.
  5. TualaBear
    TualaBear
    Quote Originally Posted by CAmom4721 View Post
    You want to be enrolled in Prime if you can. Standard is less coverage. You have 80/20 coverage which means you're responsible for 20% of the cost of things. Prime is 100% coverage as far as I understood it from the Tricare people.

Ohhhhh I always wondered that.
    Freedom & Tina Our Blog: http://thebaptistas.blogspot.com/
    "To disagree with me is your human right. To argue with me just because you think you are right and want to see me wrong makes you legally retarded."
  6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    To be placed on his DEERS he'll need a copy of your marriage license....

For most everyone, Prime's the way to go, and please also know that you're allowed to see civilian providers while on Prime... I've seen nothing but civilians for the last 5 years.. It all depends on where you live and the availability at the clinic. Out here in SD, we went and transferred over to TRIWEST and they asked where we were living.. I told her CV,and she let me pick drs. close to our place. Good luck!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Jump for Joy

Quote Originally Posted by EN1MacsWifey View Post
    To be placed on his DEERS he'll need a copy of your marriage license....

For most everyone, Prime's the way to go, and please also know that you're allowed to see civilian providers while on Prime... I've seen nothing but civilians for the last 5 years.. It all depends on where you live and the availability at the clinic. Out here in SD, we went and transferred over to TRIWEST and they asked where we were living.. I told her CV,and she let me pick drs. close to our place. Good luck!
    This all depends on the base you are at and possibly the branch of service. If you are Prime in the AF, you are assigned a Dr. The first time you get to pick, after that, assigned. The perks of Prime are you don't have to worry about perscriptions because they are paid for by the military when filled at the base pharmacy, they pay for most everything when you have children, ect. Standard is like Blue Cross/ Blue Sheild. 80/20. Good things are, you choose where you want to go as long as they take Tri-Care. Go in with the sponser when you are ready and see what is going on.

Good Luck
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    When I went to Balboa a couple week ago, they weren't accepting any family practice patients so I was able to get a PCM close to my house!!!
    The tricare enrollment is VERY easy. You don't even need your DH with you! Just go to the Tricare office. The only one I know of around town is at Balboa, but there are other Tricare office locations in SD.
  9. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    When I went to Balboa a couple week ago, they weren't accepting any family practice patients so I was able to get a PCM close to my house!!!
    The tricare enrollment is VERY easy. You don't even need your DH with you! Just go to the Tricare office. The only one I know of around town is at Balboa, but there are other Tricare office locations in SD.
    We went to the one on 32nd street.. it's on the dry side near the commy and the base daycare..

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EN1MacsWifey View Post
    We went to the one on 32nd street.. it's on the dry side near the commy and the base daycare..
    There's also one at NTC behind the pharmacy right past the elevator.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast