Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: question about schooling...

1. chels_chels

Whatever question about schooling...

Advertisements
    me and my boyfriend of 3+yrs have planned on taking our relationship to the next level (marriage) but are unsure of a few technical difficulites...i attend college and receive financial aid and a friend of mine who married her sailor got her financial aid revoked and had to go to a community college because of getting married. i was wondering if that would happen to me? this is something that me and him really want to do but if it messes up my schooling then he doesn't want to because getting my BA means a lot to him...and me! so is there like any spousal assistance when it comes to attending college? since there are plenty of army wives on here...i was hoping i could get an answer...thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    i work in a financial aid office @ a community college. the only thing she may not have been eligable for was grants. you always have loans and scholarships to look for.

thier are a lot of scharlorships for military wives. you can still be married and get funding for school. you just might not be eligable for grants, but you wont know for sure until youare married and the calculations are done.
  3. chels_chels
    thanks...that info really did help! he barely went began bootcamp last friday so we don't know where he'll be stationed at and all of the technical things...we'll probably do it once we figure out where he'd be stationed and all of that good stuff.
  4. Senior Member
    just take it day by day and expect things to change often. good luck sweety and PM me anytime.
  5. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    I'm married and got huge grants...but mostly because we're reserves and get paid almost nothing and were pretty much broke on last year's taxes.

You can get all kinds of scholarships, new scholarships open up once you're married and military spouse. You can also still get loans depending on financial need. There shouldn't be any reason that getting married would keep you from affording your schooling now

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

6. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    Why would you not be eligible for grants? Because you're no longer a "dependent"? (Just adding my confused curiosity to the bunch)... Ah, wait.. missed the next post, lol. So, assuming your financial situation doesn't become vastly better, everything else should still function the same?
    Last edited by Del; 05-07-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I forgot to hit "refresh"
  7. chels_chels
    i sure hope it does....since my mother was claiming me....i received aid based on her tax info....
    idk...i've heard rumors about all of my aid going down the drain...and other things. but then again...i was hearing it from non military spouses!!!