Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off base living!!! please help!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile off base living

Advertisements
    my boyfriend and i have decided to get court married in order to be able to live off base together. (we planned on getting married, but not this soon. we decided we wanted to move in together so we would have to be married in order to do so.) when we get the legal documents saying we are married, how do we go about showing them we are able to live off base together? do we have to be approved or are you automatically eligible to do so if you are married. how long does it take to be able to finally live off base? thank you so much!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

off base living!!! please help!!!

my boyfriend and i have decided to get court married in order to be able to live off base together. (we planned on getting married, but not this soon. we decided we wanted to move in together so we would have to be married in order to do so.) when we get the legal documents saying we are married, how do we go about showing them we are able to live off base together? do we have to be approved or are you automatically eligible to do so if you are married. how long does it take to be able to finally live off base? thank you so much!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Please don't double post...Trust me, we'll see it.

As for getting married and getting off base housing...depends. After you are married, you will take your marriage certificate in and you will get put on DEERS. After that, there is a check list to get his stuff switched over. I would say about 30 days notice he will need to give. He should check into it to see what is required. Some bases (not many) will require a certain rank to live on base married or not. Again, very few do that.

I would think very carefully about getting married just so he could move off base. You guys could live together without being married, he just wouldn't get BAH for it. I would think long and hard first. Seems very rushed.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Regular Member
    Definitely not a good idea to get married for the purpose of being able to live together. I know you said you plan or getting married one day, but it seems very rushed.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    i double posted because i put it into the wrong category. thanks for the replies but i wasn't looking on input for the marriage part. shouldnt have to even explain myself. weve been together for 4 years, we know what we want. thanks though, dont need second mom
  6. Regular Member
    Your response shows your maturity.

Once you get married, you will wait until you can get the official certificates, you'll go purchase official copies, you'll bring all of your paperwork and your official identifiers so you can get enrolled in DEERS and sometimes BAH comes in right away, sometimes there is a delay.

Best of luck.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    i am very mature for my age, regardless that is beyond irrelevant. it is rude as hell to say that i am rushing when you have 0 clue about myself, my boyfriend or out relationship. especially to someone that you dont know what so ever. asked for an answer to my questions, not motherly advice. but thank you once again
  8. Senior Member
    You don't have to explain yourself. You also don't get to dictate how other people post here, or what they say or respond to. That's the way message boards, and even real life conversations, work. And if your first thread here is full of attitude and snark, you aren't likely to get much help in the future.

As for your questions, it depends on what you mean. As soon as he files the paperwork with the military on your marriage, he'll be allowed to move out *if* he is at a base in of a rank where that is allowed. (Not all married people at all locations are allowed to live off base.) However, it can take up to two month, or occasionally more, to actually see the housing allowance, so unless you can afford it without that, you are just going to have to be patient.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Messaged mods about duplicate so they can combine.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peytonsykes View Post
    i double posted because i put it into the wrong category. thanks for the replies but i wasn't looking on input for the marriage part. shouldnt have to even explain myself. weve been together for 4 years, we know what we want. thanks though, dont need second mom
    i am very mature for my age, regardless that is beyond irrelevant. it is rude as hell to say that i am rushing when you have 0 clue about myself, my boyfriend or out relationship. especially to someone that you dont know what so ever. asked for an answer to my questions, not motherly advice. but thank you once again
    QFP

PPs took the words right out of my mouth.

I remember what it was like being 18 and thinking I knew everything too. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 10-30-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast