Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Zip code does BAH apply to?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Which Zip code does BAH apply to?

Advertisements
    Hi there,

So my fiance and I are planning on getting married in the next month and I am going to be completing my job training for up to two years and living in the dorms on different bases. Before I left, we lived separately, and in different zip codes, so my question is once we begin receiving BAH will we receive the amount for MY previous zip code listed on my paperwork, or HER zip code where she has lived for the past few years?

There is a significant difference between the BAH amount, her's is much higher than mine, and I want to make sure she is getting the correct amount for where she lives, does anyone know the answer to this? Obviously she can easily provide proof of residence backdated for quite some time.

Thanks so much for your help
  2. Senior Member
    If you are both serving I would go talk to some of your leadership. I have heard very different things as far as who gets W/dependents BAH and that neither get it.....I know there is some talk in congress about changing the BAH policy so its just a complicated mess.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    If you are both serving I would go talk to some of your leadership. I have heard very different things as far as who gets W/dependents BAH and that neither get it.....I know there is some talk in congress about changing the BAH policy so its just a complicated mess.
    Sorry, I should've clarified, she is not serving, only I am.

The zip code I shipped out from is different than the zip code she resides in, so I just am trying to find out which zip code the finance office will use when determining our BAH entitlement.

I'm guessing the zip code SHE lives in as of our date of marriage is the only zip code that will matter?
  4. Senior Member
    The zip code is in the Service Members location. Only few families get where the spouse is and that is due to a situation.
    So if you are stationed in FL and she is living in WA it will be the FL BAH. Now if you are jumping around from school to school to school with 6 or less months that becomes a different situation.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The zip code is in the Service Members location. Only few families get where the spouse is and that is due to a situation.
    So if you are stationed in FL and she is living in WA it will be the FL BAH.
    and I believe it's the zip code of base not so much where the service member actually lives. Like when we were in DC the Pentagon and Anacostia Bolling had higher BAH rates than Quantico which is literally half an hour away. A lot of those people stationed at the Pentagon or JBAB lived closer to Quantico but still got higher BAH than those stationed at Quantico living in the same area.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    So if you are stationed in FL and she is living in WA it will be the FL BAH. Now if you are jumping around from school to school to school with 6 or less months that becomes a different situation.

Ahh yes, so this actually is the case for me, I will be hopping around from base to base and will not be in one area for more than 6 months. This will be going on for quite some time as my job requires extensive training and multiple schools before becoming mission qualified.

hopefully this means her home zip code will be used
    Last edited by nitrohuck; 10-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.
  7. Senior Member
    What is it you are training for?
  8. Senior Member
    I am thinking it won't be her zip code, especially if you never lived there or were stationed there. What type of orders are you on - PCS, TDY or ?? The JTR should cover your situation. Have you looked through it?
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Also, if he is jumping around living in the dorms, it may be the zip of the base he is actually attached to.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nitrohuck View Post
    Ahh yes, so this actually is the case for me, I will be hopping around from base to base and will not be in one area for more than 6 months. This will be going on for quite some time as my job requires extensive training and multiple schools before becoming mission qualified.

hopefully this means her home zip code will be used
    Probably going to be wherever your current permanent station is. We received BAH for my location while separated only when he was TDY elsewhere. So if her home zip is where you are currently permanently stationed, that's what you'll get.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast