Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TRICARE Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

TRICARE Question

Advertisements
    Hello All!

My husband just signed his active duty contract after being in the Army Reserves for ten years, he leaves for basic at the end of August. My question is, when does our TRICARE technically kick in? Does anyone have any idea? I was previously married to a Marine that was active duty at the time and it was completely different, once I was entered into DEERS it was automatic. I currently have a dependent ID per his Reserve service once we got married, do I need to get a new one prior to him leaving for basic - if so, will that automatically enroll me since its through DEERS as well?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Once the active duty member puts you into DEERS, you are qualified for Tricare standard. You'll still need to sign in; but, you'll need to get your military ID and things like that.

I hope someone else has a better answer for you.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dshelley08 View Post
    Hello All!

My husband just signed his active duty contract after being in the Army Reserves for ten years, he leaves for basic at the end of August. My question is, when does our TRICARE technically kick in? Does anyone have any idea? I was previously married to a Marine that was active duty at the time and it was completely different, once I was entered into DEERS it was automatic. I currently have a dependent ID per his Reserve service once we got married, do I need to get a new one prior to him leaving for basic - if so, will that automatically enroll me since its through DEERS as well?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    I would assume your Tricare kicks in immediately but call Tricare for your region to be sure. Normally, the service member brings all the required paperwork with him to boot camp or basic and gets you enrolled there. But since you're already enrolled it might just be a matter of changing your status now that he's going from reserves to active. For your ID I know you'll need to bring in a specific form he sends you and then you can go to any base and get it changed to an active dependent ID.