Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill Question - Switching from Montgomery to Post 9/11

1. Senior Member

GI Bill Question - Switching from Montgomery to Post 9/11

Advertisements
    Wow it has been forever since I've been on here. I'm hoping someone has some knowledge or experience on the process of switching from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11. I know that DH can get up to 48 months of GI Bill benefits but only 36 months from one individual benefit. As of the end of the Spring semester he had used all but 12 days of his Montgomery GI Bill.

What I am getting conflicting information on is whether or not he can switch to Post 9/11 right now and get the 12 months of benefits under it. The VA office at his school is telling him he can, but some information online seems to indicate that if he doesn't use up the last 12 days before switching to Post 9/11, he will only get 12 days. But if that is the case it certainly makes things complicated and I wonder how others have dealt with similar situations. The GI Bill is his main source of income right now and if he has to use the 12 days for Fall semester and can't get Post 9/11 until Spring I don't know how we will make it (I assume you can't switch mid semester since the benefits operate so differently). We are scrambling trying to determine if there is a summer class he can take to use up those days so he can switch for Fall, but it will be hard to get into a summer class as they are mostly full by now.

So if anyone has any information on whether or not he really has to use those 12 days in order to get the 12 months when he switches that would be very helpful. Also, if that is the case I would love to hear if anyone has experience or ideas as to how to use those last few days as is isn't enough to cover a semester.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

As far as I know you can't switch back and forth. You're supposed to make the determination before you use any benefits. The whole point of one getting more time is because you don't get the additional income benefits. The fact he's trying to use all of his GI Bill then switch to post 9/11 just says he's trying to scam the system. You get one, you're briefed to choose the correct one or never switch so you have the option when you need to actually use it.

Curious as to who is saying he can switch to post 9/11 after getting 3 years of additional benefits.

ETA: from what I just read it looks like if you're eligible for multiple benefits you have to choose one. If you use the MGIB you can combine it but not with the post 9\11, it's with VEAP.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    As far as I know you can't switch back and forth. You're supposed to make the determination before you use any benefits. The whole point of one getting more time is because you don't get the additional income benefits. The fact he's trying to use all of his GI Bill then switch to post 9/11 just says he's trying to scam the system. You get one, you're briefed to choose the correct one or never switch so you have the option when you need to actually use it.

Curious as to who is saying he can switch to post 9/11 after getting 3 years of additional benefits.

ETA: from what I just read it looks like if you're eligible for multiple benefits you have to choose one. If you use the MGIB you can combine it but not with the post 9\11, it's with VEAP.
    It's very well documented that you can switch from MGIB to Post 9/11, and it is definitely not scamming the system. MGIB and Post 9/11 are two separate benefits and you receive up to 48 months of educational benefits but no more than 36 months from one program. You only have to choose to give up the others is you choose the Post 9/11 first. If you start with Montgomery you can then switch to Post 9/11.

I am only confused about how people go about using those last few days. I know multiple people who have done this but no one who has run into the issue of having a small amount of days left that wouldn't come to close to covering a semester and we weren't previously aware that he had to use every last day before he could switch which seems to be the case.

How Do I Transfer from the Montgomery to the Post 9/11 GI Bill? | Army.com
    https://iava.org/blogs/montgomery-gi...o-switch-over/
    https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/523

ETA: Luckily DH had great people helping him when he went through TAP. They all had to calculate what education benefit was best for them based on their personal circumstances. Since DH participated in the MGIB Buy-Up program, planned to do community college the first two years with low tuition, and BAH is low where we're from, it made sense for him to use the 36 months of Montgomery and then the 12 months of Post 9/11. Most people get more from Post 9/11 so maybe it's not super common but it is definitely allowed, encouraged by the Army, and not at all him trying to scam the system.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jesskuhmarie View Post
    It's very well documented that you can switch from MGIB to Post 9/11, and it is definitely not scamming the system. MGIB and Post 9/11 are two separate benefits and you receive up to 48 months of educational benefits but no more than 36 months from one program. You only have to choose to give up the others is you choose the Post 9/11 first. If you start with Montgomery you can then switch to Post 9/11.

I am only confused about how people go about using those last few days. I know multiple people who have done this but no one who has run into the issue of having a small amount of days left that wouldn't come to close to covering a semester and we weren't previously aware that he had to use every last day before he could switch which seems to be the case.

How Do I Transfer from the Montgomery to the Post 9/11 GI Bill? | Army.com
    https://iava.org/blogs/montgomery-gi...o-switch-over/
    https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/523

ETA: Luckily DH had great people helping him when he went through TAP. They all had to calculate what education benefit was best for them based on their personal circumstances. Since DH participated in the MGIB Buy-Up program, planned to do community college the first two years with low tuition, and BAH is low where we're from, it made sense for him to use the 36 months of Montgomery and then the 12 months of Post 9/11. Most people get more from Post 9/11 so maybe it's not super common but it is definitely allowed, encouraged by the Army, and not at all him trying to scam the system.
    I read your post entirely incorrectly. I read it as if he had basically used all of one and now wanted to switch to the other, utilizing both benefits entirely. I apologize.