Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separation pay

1. Senior Member

Separation pay

Advertisements
    On one of the spouse pages for base someone asked when they would receive separation pay for basic/AIT. They said the recruiter told them that since basic and AIT is a forced separation lasting longer than 30 days, they would receive separation pay. Only two other people commented and said they didn't receive it for a few weeks after and that they should go to S1 about it. Is it true that you get separation pay for basic and AIT? Cause I don't recall receiving it.
  2. Moderator

It wasn't always the case, but yes- people get confused by the "30 days or more" part, because while 30 days is the minimum, the pay also doesn't start until day 31. So they will not receive it for the first several weeks.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You also have to have been living together & married before hand in order to receive it. A lot of people don't realize that either.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    It wasn't always the case, but yes- people get confused by the "30 days or more" part, because while 30 days is the minimum, the pay also doesn't start until day 31. So they will not receive it for the first several weeks.
    Oh yes I know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    You also have to have been living together & married before hand in order to receive it. A lot of people don't realize that either.
    Yeah we were married and living together for a few years before he left.
  5. Senior Member
    My SO is in basic and I am not receiving separation pay. All we get is his base pay and bah. I was told separation pay only is used for deployments or unaccompanied tours
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    My SO is in basic and I am not receiving separation pay. All we get is his base pay and bah. I was told separation pay only is used for deployments or unaccompanied tours
    See that's what I thought too!
  7. Senior Member
    The rules for Family Separation Allowance can be found at https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers...ments/fsa.html
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    The rules for Family Separation Allowance can be found at https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers...ments/fsa.html
    So this whole time I could have applied for it and received it? Wth...
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    So this whole time I could have applied for it and received it? Wth...
    It's not something that you would apply for. When did he leave? Pay is weird in basic, and sometimes delayed. He may get it on his next check. Or he could be getting it and you just didn't realize it, it's not a huge amount. There are expenses that come out of their first checks, so it's entirely possible that he got it but didn't realize because it was offset by a deduction.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    It's not something that you would apply for. When did he leave? Pay is weird in basic, and sometimes delayed. He may get it on his next check. Or he could be getting it and you just didn't realize it, it's not a huge amount. There are expenses that come out of their first checks, so it's entirely possible that he got it but didn't realize because it was offset by a deduction.
    He's almost done, just a few weeks left. I have access to his bank and pay stubs so I know I wasn't getting it. Oh well... maybe next time we are apart...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast