Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dental insurance question

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

dental insurance question

Advertisements
    My husband goes to boot camp next month. I currently need some dental work done and I am wondering if I should wait until we get covered by the military insurance instead of using our current dental coverage (it's pretty expensive).

Does the insurance have good coverage? I need a crown and two fillings. Does anyone know about how much I would have to pay with Tricare?

Thanks!
  2. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nw2811 View Post
    My husband goes to boot camp next month. I currently need some dental work done and I am wondering if I should wait until we get covered by the military insurance instead of using our current dental coverage (it's pretty expensive).

Does the insurance have good coverage? I need a crown and two fillings. Does anyone know about how much I would have to pay with Tricare?

Thanks!
    I never used Tricare Dental, when I married my SO Tricare only covered cleanings, xrays and fluoride. As of May 1, 2017 the plan is changing and is supposed to be better.

Here is a link to the site for coverage;

https://www.tricare.mil/CoveredServices/Dental/TDP

This link explains the costs;

https://www.tricare.mil/Costs/DentalCosts/TDP/Premiums

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBitterSpouse View Post
    I never used Tricare Dental, when I married my SO Tricare only covered cleanings, xrays and fluoride. As of May 1, 2017 the plan is changing and is supposed to be better.

Here is a link to the site for coverage;

https://www.tricare.mil/CoveredServices/Dental/TDP

This link explains the costs;

https://www.tricare.mil/Costs/DentalCosts/TDP/Premiums

thank you!!
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Tricare covers more than just cleanings, xrays, and fluoride.
    It covers orthos, maxiofacial, crowns, etc. I paid about 25% for my son's oral surgery (wisdom teeth and some other stuff), braces max tricare pays out is $1750 (or it was a couple years ago).

Contact tricare (through links provided, or via phone) they will be able to tell you for sure.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    First, you're going to need to enroll for dental insurance and there is a cost per month. Right now it is MetLife but United Concordia is taking over again May 1. The exact coverage is still not known but should be soon. Currently, with an in-network provider my guess would be $400-700 for a crown and two fillings. I have 4 crowns and am about to have 1 replaced.

Personally I think for the cost, yes, it is good coverage. Unfortunately, my teeth suck and I need lots of work. And it doesn't help we also have 2 kids in braces (MetLife covers $1,750 per kid).
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Tricare covers more than just cleanings, xrays, and fluoride.
    It covers orthos, maxiofacial, crowns, etc. I paid about 25% for my son's oral surgery (wisdom teeth and some other stuff), braces max tricare pays out is $1750 (or it was a couple years ago).

Contact tricare (through links provided, or via phone) they will be able to tell you for sure.
    Braces covered only up until a certain age though.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks everyone!
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    First, you're going to need to enroll for dental insurance and there is a cost per month. Right now it is MetLife but United Concordia is taking over again May 1. The exact coverage is still not known but should be soon. Currently, with an in-network provider my guess would be $400-700 for a crown and two fillings. I have 4 crowns and am about to have 1 replaced.

Personally I think for the cost, yes, it is good coverage. Unfortunately, my teeth suck and I need lots of work. And it doesn't help we also have 2 kids in braces (MetLife covers $1,750 per kid).

I just went to the dentist today and have a whole plan laid out for my dental care because i have A LOT going on, but when talking to the woman who was handling my insurance, she said right now, through MetLife, max is $1300, however when it changes to United Concordia, she said it would be $1500. (Not 100% if that's correct but she seemed to pretty certain on it)

Side note OP, if you go with and in-network dentist, there should be discounts after they add up what will be covered with insurance.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    I just went to the dentist today and have a whole plan laid out for my dental care because i have A LOT going on, but when talking to the woman who was handling my insurance, she said right now, through MetLife, max is $1300, however when it changes to United Concordia, she said it would be $1500. (Not 100% if that's correct but she seemed to pretty certain on it)

Side note OP, if you go with and in-network dentist, there should be discounts after they add up what will be covered with insurance.
    Yeah, I don't know. I was just at the dentist and ortho on Tuesday and neither would say they knew anything other than United Concordia is taking over on May 1. I guess we'll all know real soon though hahahahaha
  10. Regular Member
    I am hoping United Concordia is easier to deal with. I took my 3 year old to the dentist in January and after and hour of the dentist office arguing with Metlife over whether or not fluoride treatment was covered, I just paid for it out of pocket. I then got a bill from Tricare for the cleaning as well, when I called them about it the young lady was obviously reading from a script and couldn't answer any questions, I just ended up paying that out of pocket as well. The one and only time I used the Tricare dental option I was told they would cover a partial amount of the bill for a filling, I needed to pay $60 of it. When I received the billing statement from Tricare and the one from the dental office the whole bill for the procedure was $60 so they didn't pay any of it. Tried arguing that, got mad and went back on my own insurance during open enrollment. I just have not had good luck with Tricare, but that is just me, some of the wives I have met here have had much better experiences.

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast