Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing for New Spouses?

1. Senior Member

Whatever Housing for New Spouses?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies and gents'!

So I still have some time to arrange all of this- my fiance and I will be getting married in 9 months but here it goes. I currently am in college (almost done) I graduate with my BSN in 8 months and will be moving in with him after our marriage. He is a E-3 Airman at Lackland AFB. Will the military pay for our housing or give us BAH (we want to live off base in an apartment for sure!!) even though I will be making about 60k a year? He is 21 and I am 20 and I am not exactly familiar with military procedures and he is not familiar with this one. I have some other questions about the process if the answer is yes.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    The military will not care if you have a job or how much you make. If he is married, he will receive BAH at the with dependents rate.
  3. Senior Member
    Okay great! I really do not want to sound stupid or like I cannot do any research on my own....but do we need to apply for this? Do we just show them our marriage license? How soon will we start getting the payments because although I have money in savings it may take 2 months until I start a job. Also how much can we be expecting to get in San Antonio if anyone knows? No children or anything.
  4. Senior Member
    It shouldn't take too long to start receive it. Once you get married he won't be authorized to live in the dorm, so he will have to move out. He will bring them the paperwork showing he is married and they will set everything up. The BAH calculator is here BAH Calculator you put in his rank and zip code and it will show you the with dependents rate. That is the rate he will receive because he will have a dependent - you.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    Okay great! I really do not want to sound stupid or like I cannot do any research on my own....but do we need to apply for this? Do we just show them our marriage license? How soon will we start getting the payments because although I have money in savings it may take 2 months until I start a job. Also how much can we be expecting to get in San Antonio if anyone knows? No children or anything.
    He will turn in all the required documents when you get married. PSD ( acronyms you will get to know) will update the system and BAH will start. It might take a few weeks to kick in but it will also be backdated if need be.
  6. Senior Member
    Thank you both! Does not seem too hard at all! I also used the calculator and it looks like it will be plenty for our housing costs.
  7. Senior Member
    There's a website you can check and it'll give you the exact amount of BAH by zip code and rank and with/without dependents. BAH is only ever with/without dependents btw they don't care how many kids you have, if any. He'll get the same amount for BAH whether he just has a wife or a wife and eight kids. How long it takes to get varies, but you'll get backpay from the date you married once it starts showing up in his checks. And yeah the military doesn't take into account whether you have a job at all, let alone how much it pays.

After you get married, you'll have to go to DEERS to get registered/get an ID and sign up for tricare or whatever they do. I feel like my ex had to show his command a lease or something for us to start receiving BAH but tbh I don't remember, and also he had no idea what he was doing so it may not have even been necessary.
  8. Senior Member
    BAH rate is based on rank, location, and with or without dependents (one dependent--a spouse--is the same as 5 dependents; it's a yes or no thing). For the zip code, make sure you search on the base zip code, not the zip where you will live.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski