Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH on and off base?

1. Senior Member

BAH on and off base?

Advertisements
    So just for my curiosity, because I am still a little naive about the military do you have to pay rent while you live on base? For some reason I was under the assumption that if you lived on base you didnt pay for the housing and when you live off base you get BAH.

Since I have nothing better to do at work today I was browsing around and I am gathering that regardless if you live on or off base you still have to pay rent, but you still get BAH...?

Per Dh recruiter, even him being in the NG I will get BAH while he is away and I dont live on a base so I am just curious.
  2. Senior Member
    When you're on base they take your BAH (either some or all of it). You can have it direct deposited/an allotment (what most people do) or you can go into their office monthly and give them a rent check (what I had to do at our last base).

3. Senior Member
    You get BAH no matter what, but when you live on post you don't see it. It's taken out automatically. There are some places that offer housing on post cheaper than BAH, so you'll see some of it, but generally most places take all of it.

4. Senior Member
    If you look for a sample LES You will see housing in column A...and than in Column B you will see like housing or something with that same money (now it could be different if the housing office is allowing you live for less than BAH but it at least shows.

If you live off base there will be nothing about housing in column B.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We live on base now and housing takes all the BAH for rent and utilities like electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash. We pay things like cable, phone (whether landline or cell), internet, etc. But for gas and electric they compare like houses to get an average charge and if we're above it then we pay what that amount is. If we're under then we get a credit. So far we've never paid an actually have an almost $500 credit. We also have to make sure we only put out what we're allowed for trash. Our can has to be completely closed, not lifted, or we get charged.

Some places though cover utilities without an overage charge. That is how it was the first time we lived in housing. There was no charge for gas or electric no matter what. We didn't even get a statement like we do now. And we had dumpster areas so we could take as much trash out as we wanted/needed to without being charged.

Some places also won't charge you your full BAH amount either. Some places are always like that and some run specials--which you need to pay attention to the terms so you know when it ends and what the charge is at that point. It probably depends on the area but the specials I've seen here are for the 2 bedroom units.

And whether living in housing or not, money wise, is best will depend on what you're wanting/needing, what is available in that area (for both housing and in town), what the BAH amount is and what places are renting for.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    We also have to make sure we only put out what we're allowed for trash. Our can has to be completely closed, not lifted, or we get charged.
    What?! That's crazy that they do that.
    This will be the 4th base where we've lived on base (we've lived on Marine, Marine/Navy, and Air Force bases), and I've seen everything from 20 bags at the curb to washers and dryers. Every trash day was like free shopping day because you could find dressers and nightstands on the curb in pretty good condition.

OP, how long is your SOs MOS school? If it's only a few months then it may not be worth it to move on and off base once training is over. Does the National Guard pay for the move off base once his school is over and he is no longer activated?

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    OP, how long is your SOs MOS school? If it's only a few months then it may not be worth it to move on and off base once training is over. Does the National Guard pay for the move off base once his school is over and he is no longer activated?
    His MOS is about 4 weeks. He goes straight through basic and school so a total of 14 weeks of training and he had 2 weeks of reception. They do not pay for moving on or off bases or if we were to choose a different state to live in we would have to pay for it ourselves. If he got a full time gig with the Guard we could choose to live on or off base, but if he would get BAH at that point every month I don't know. Currently he is getting BAH while at basic/school because he's active guard.
    It's all confusing to me. LOL
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What?! That's crazy that they do that.
    This will be the 4th base where we've lived on base (we've lived on Marine, Marine/Navy, and Air Force bases), and I've seen everything from 20 bags at the curb to washers and dryers. Every trash day was like free shopping day because you could find dressers and nightstands on the curb in pretty good condition.

Oh no. There is none of that. We have a trash can and a recycling can. The recycling can lid they allow to be open (they pick up every other week) but the trash one has to be closed. Not sure how much a whole bag or more costs but I know if the lid isn't closed it is $3. So not a lot but like really??? Before my neighbor across the street moved she was billed $10 3 different times but she never put out extra bags and always had her lid closed. I even started watching her can with her because of the charges. She was never able to get it rectified or figure out why they were charging her. The only thing we could think of was it was someone else and the trash guy was writing down her address instead.
  9. Senior Member
    Our current base home is a little different than most. We pay less than BAH and pay our own electricity, so we actually have BAH deposited every month into our account. We use that to pay our rent to the privatized housing office and our electric bill. We always pocket money because our home is a good bit less than DH's BAH and our electric bill (even in an older home) has never been more than $90. I'm still in shock about that as we were expecting to break even every month.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥