Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My Spouse is Pain, What do I do???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help My Spouse is Pain, What do I do???

Advertisements
    Hello all,

A little bit of my situation, I am married to a sailor (rate: GSM) and we currently live apart I live in CA because my work pays for my school while my spouse is station in HI. She has had a few incidents where she has hurt her knee and neck on the ship and she is in constant pain almost everyday. I know that service members and their dependents have different health care providers. So when I try to convince her to keep telling the corpsman on the ship to send her to the actual hospital to get it examined, they wont let her. It's starting to really tick me off and I hate seeing and hearing her in pain. Since I can't physically do anything to help her, what can I do to help her? Or what could I advise her to do next? Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciate.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

she can always make an appointment with the clinic herself if Doc isn't willing to send her. She should just make it with enough time to give them notice; doesn't have to disclose what it's for just that it's a med appt, if even that. If that isn't an option Schofield has a walk in clinic she can go to after work hours. Plus there's always an ER. The best bet is for her to tell Doc this is an issue that isn't relieving itself and she really needs to have an X-ray or MRI done to make sure it's nothing serious. I can't imagine why it hasn't happened yet if it's been a long time and she's complaining.
  3. Senior Member
    It sounds like she is out on the ship in a deployment, probably on a small ship since you mention a corpsman and not a doctor. Is that correct? If not, then she can just make an appointment at the clinic herself. If she is on the ship and she feels she's not getting proper care, she can go up her chain of command to let them know.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It sounds like she is out on the ship in a deployment, probably on a small ship since you mention a corpsman and not a doctor. Is that correct? If not, then she can just make an appointment at the clinic herself. If she is on the ship and she feels she's not getting proper care, she can go up her chain of command to let them know.
    she isn't currently on a deployment but it is her sea tour and she is on a small ship, I believe it's called a destroyer?
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    she can always make an appointment with the clinic herself if Doc isn't willing to send her. She should just make it with enough time to give them notice; doesn't have to disclose what it's for just that it's a med appt, if even that. If that isn't an option Schofield has a walk in clinic she can go to after work hours. Plus there's always an ER. The best bet is for her to tell Doc this is an issue that isn't relieving itself and she really needs to have an X-ray or MRI done to make sure it's nothing serious. I can't imagine why it hasn't happened yet if it's been a long time and she's complaining.
    would the clinic be the naval base hospital? it's her first time having healthcare insurance, so she is not sure how to approach it since the corpsman is not really helping besides giving her Motrin. And is there a number to call or to check for the walk in clinic at Schofield?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by daynaak View Post
    would the clinic be the naval base hospital? it's her first time having healthcare insurance, so she is not sure how to approach it since the corpsman is not really helping besides giving her Motrin. And is there a number to call or to check for the walk in clinic at Schofield?
    Makalapa is the Navy base clinic that she will need to see first. After that, if her doctor (the one at the clinic, not the ship) decides she needs further testing (MRI, CAT scan, etc) it will be done at Tripler (the military hospital, not clinic). Schofield is open week days from like 7am - 6pm or so, but there is typically a 2+ hour wait and it's a decent drive away (30 minutes, minimum, 1 hr+ if after 3pm when there is traffic). You can google "Schofield clinic" and the number will be there. I highly recommend she just call the Navy Clinic (again, number can be googled) and start there since the Schofield clinic is basically used in place of the ER. They will be able to figure everything out for her as long as she makes the call.