Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do I need to be with my sponsor for DEERS enrollment? (select all that apply)

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you must be present w/ him and the documents at the office

0 0%
  • No, he can enroll you on his own w/ the documents

0 0%
  • No, but you have to get POA to do it yourself

0 0%
  • No, but you need some other form to enroll yourself

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Can my sponsor enroll me in DEERS if I'm not present with him?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Can sponsor enroll me in DEERS w/o me there? Marriage during DEP/before basic? HELP!

Advertisements
    Alright so my fiance and I are making the leap and getting married in a week. This was not the original plan and I told him to inform his recruiter ASAP. After the elopement, he'll be back in his state by the time the marriage cert comes in. Obviously we need that to enroll me in DEERS.

Can I ship him the documents and have him enroll me without me being present?
    I know he must be present but I cant find anything speciffically stating if I have to be? If not, is there a way I can enroll myself without POA? If both are not possible, how easy is it to get POA? It seems I can get enrolled by him and get my ID taken care of in my college state with a proper form? I'm so confused and he's overwhelmed obviously! I'm assuming we could always wait to enroll until basic but then my documents are with him? and I think that means he doesn't get BAH in basic? I'm not even sure if I can enroll until his contract is sorted and changed to having a spouse.

Also did you have any problems getting your ID/enrolled in DEERS without a name change?
    I want to change it at some point but given the time crunch I'll need to send him the marriage cert/SSN/passport ASAP most likely and I can't change my license out of state. I also don't want to change my name with SSA yet since we're getting married during tax season and don't want to risk my return getting held up. This thread says they were given their married name on their ID even without a name change which would be ideal!!! But then others say you need the name changed to even get enrolled!? Military SOS "ID cards, DEERS, and changing my name! Did you have problems with not changing names? I will change at some point but obviously we'd rather get set up now and even go through the extra trouble of changing my maiden name in DEERS down the line.

Also he is currently DEP. From what I've looked at online the wedding "could" affect his ship date but everything I find is just saying it "could" but I cant seem to find any saying it actually happened to them. From what I understand marriage isnt legal grounds to forcefully drop him from DEP. His ship date is in 2.5-3 months but could be moved up if he changes his rate which may happen. Will the wedding create any problems with his contract?

Really would like to know about DEERS! but any experience on any of this please!!!! I need answers and am trying to gather as much info as possible before he talks to the recruiter!
    Last edited by kenzyrae; 01-19-2017 at 01:24 PM.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Can my sponsor enroll me in DEERS if I'm not present with him?

Alright so my fiance and I are making the leap and getting married in a week. This was not the original plan and I told him to inform his recruiter ASAP. After the elopement, he'll be back in his state by the time the marriage cert comes in. Obviously we need that to enroll me in DEERS.

I know he must be present but I cant find anything speciffically stating if I have to be? If not, is there a way I can enroll myself without POA? If both are not possible, how easy is it to get POA? It seems I can get enrolled by him and get my ID taken care of in my college state with a proper form? I'm so confused and he's overwhelmed obviously! I'm assuming we could always wait to enroll until basic but then my documents are with him? and I think that means he doesn't get BAH in basic? I'm not even sure if I can enroll until his contract is sorted and changed to having a spouse.

Also did you have any problems getting your ID/enrolled in DEERS without a name change?
    I want to change it at some point but given the time crunch I'll need to send him the marriage cert/SSN/passport ASAP most likely and I can't change my license out of state. I also don't want to change my name with SSA yet since we're getting married during tax season and don't want to risk my return getting held up or have problems with my family claiming me as a dependent for the last time. Did you have problems with not changing names? I will change at some point but obviously we'd rather get set up now and even go through the extra trouble of changing my maiden name in DEERS down the line.
  3. Senior Member
    It's been a while, but my DH definitely enrolled me before I changed my name. No problem. After all, some people never change their names.

Not sure about the rest as my DH was already in when we got married. Just know that depending on the branch, getting married now could cause some delays or problems, and really piss off his recruiter, so make sure you guys are 100% prepared for that to happen, and that it is worth it not to wait a few months instead.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Has your DF left for basic yet? If not and he is getting married before hand he most definitely needs to tell his recruiter ASAP as that can cause issues with his shipping out. If it doesn't, all the paperwork should be completed while he is in basic as long as he has the proper documentation with him. Because you may not get your marriage certificate before that times you could either try and mail him a certified copy while he's in basic, or would have to wait until he's done and then I believe he would receive back pay for the time he was not receiving BAH. You also probably wont be able to get an ID card until after basic because he would have to sponsor you on base and you would need to prove you're a dependent in order to get one. I'm not totally familiar with the process otherwise.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've reported your thread so it can be merged with your other one as creating two that are basically the same thing is against TOS.

Anyways, getting married in DEP that close to a ship date isn't illegal, but it makes a hell of a lot more work for a recruiter and depending on the branch would require a waiver (Marines), which is why it "could" impact him shipping. It's basically at the discretion of the recruiter/his CoC.

Changing your name in the systems shouldn't be more of a hassle than going in with the proper documentation and having them change it. Marriage certificate, ID, and possibly SS card, and military documents to fill out should be all you need.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzyrae View Post

I want to change it at some point but given the time crunch I'll need to send him the marriage cert/SSN/passport ASAP most likely and I can't change my license out of state. I also don't want to change my name with SSA yet since we're getting married during tax season and don't want to risk my return getting held up. This thread says they were given their married name on their ID even without a name change which would be ideal!!! But then others say you need the name changed to even get enrolled!? Military SOS "ID cards, DEERS, and changing my name! Did you have problems with not changing names? I will change at some point but obviously we'd rather get set up now and even go through the extra trouble of changing my maiden name in DEERS down the line.

Also he is currently DEP. From what I've looked at online the wedding "could" affect his ship date but everything I find is just saying it "could" but I cant seem to find any saying it actually happened to them. From what I understand marriage isnt legal grounds to forcefully drop him from DEP. His ship date is in 2.5-3 months but could be moved up if he changes his rate which may happen. Will the wedding create any problems with his contract?

Really would like to know about DEERS! but any experience on any of this please!!!! I need answers and am trying to gather as much info as possible before he talks to the recruiter! Also don't fully trust what recruiters say as someone with many formerlly enlisted family members. I can't see why this would change anything since I won't need to sign a waiver but still want to be cautious.
    I just want to address the red first because my husband is a recruiter and there is a handful of recruiters wives on this board. Just don't go there.

You mentioned "rate" so your boyfriend is Navy, correct? My DH is a Marine and for that branch it could most definitely affect his ship date and also piss off his recruiter since everyone they recruit is explicitly told not to get married before they ship to boot camp. Why? Because they need a waiver and it's a lot of added work on the recruiter and it needs to get approved by the correct channels because he's changing his dependent status (i'm sure there are more reasons). So, if you do get married before hand inform the recruiter first so they're not blindsided. Because yes, it will piss them off if y'all go behind their back.

Your husband will be able to enroll you in the system while he's at boot camp. Make sure he brings all the correct documents with him. All you'll need to handle on your end is getting your ID made. I'm pretty sure it can have your maiden name on it because I remember a few women from this board kept their maiden name on theirs.

7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Merged.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I just want to address the red first because my husband is a recruiter and there is a handful of recruiters wives on this board. Just don't go there.

You mentioned "rate" so your boyfriend is Navy, correct? My DH is a Marine and for that branch it could most definitely affect his ship date and also piss off his recruiter since everyone they recruit is explicitly told not to get married before they ship to boot camp. Why? Because they need a waiver and it's a lot of added work on the recruiter and it needs to get approved by the correct channels because he's changing his dependent status (i'm sure there are more reasons). So, if you do get married before hand inform the recruiter first so they're not blindsided. Because yes, it will piss them off if y'all go behind their back.

Your husband will be able to enroll you in the system while he's at boot camp. Make sure he brings all the correct documents with him. All you'll need to handle on your end is getting your ID made. I'm pretty sure it can have your maiden name on it because I remember a few women from this board kept their maiden name on theirs.
    This. He cannot enroll you in DEERS until he is at boot camp and it sounds like he will have the marriage certificate by then.