Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New fillings.....

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sad New fillings.....

Advertisements
    First dental visit with tricare last month and I was told i needed three fillings.... keeping in mind I've never had a, cavity in 26/27 years. Of course they aren't in the same area. And not to sound cliche, but I hate needles and I have anxiety, actually diagnosed and I've been on multiple treatments for. I know I do not do great at these, and so I' wondering:

Should I get a second opinion
    Will tricare cover anything if I get sedation
    What are the costs, convered and uncovered on getting that
    Will my dentist deny me getting it?
  2. Senior Member
    your best bet is to call metlife and ask these questions. CONUS: 1-855-638-8371

I recently got fillings, it was no big deal. I hardly even felt the shot and I hate needles too. I was in and out for two fillings within half an hour, maybe a little longer. I can't imagine tricare would cover sedation for a simple filling unless you can prove it's actually medically necessary... even then though it might be difficult. I need a CT for getting my wisdom teeth out since the root is wrapped around the nerve, and the doctor needs to see what he's doing so he doesn't paralyze me and tricare isn't covering the CT. soo... good luck. I promise, fillings really aren't that bad.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I highly doubt they would pay for a sedation for a cavity. You should call them with your questions.

I have anxiety and hate needles too; but, it really isn't that big of a deal once it happens. I just hate the feeling afterwards.

You could get a second opinion; but, I don't know it if would be covered.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel97810 View Post
    First dental visit with tricare last month and I was told i needed three fillings.... keeping in mind I've never had a, cavity in 26/27 years. Of course they aren't in the same area. And not to sound cliche, but I hate needles and I have anxiety, actually diagnosed and I've been on multiple treatments for. I know I do not do great at these, and so I' wondering:

Should I get a second opinion
    Will tricare cover anything if I get sedation
    What are the costs, convered and uncovered on getting that
    Will my dentist deny me getting it?
    I don't know anything about he insurance aspect of it, but the fillings aren't as scary as they seem. I am usually terrified of needles, so bad that I have passed out several times and have anxiety attacks. I had invisialign and they filed a little too much between my teeth and I had to get the space closed. They put a numbing medicine on it where they give the shots and you barely feel it. Just be upfront and tell them you are nervous. They can use the laughing gas to help. My dentist told me if you use a fluoride toothpaste and floss (if the cavities are on the side where its possible) that the cavities can repair themselves.