Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Not sure if I made a mistake or not.

1. Senior Member

Not sure if I made a mistake or not.

Advertisements
    I recently got married and I am set up in DEERS and have signed up for TRICARE Prime. I have my own health insurance through work, so I consider TRICARE a secondary insurance. But I'm wondering if it would have been better if I had opted for TRICARE Standard. I don't live exactly near a base, and have my own long-standing doctor relationships. I wonder if I would have any issues using TRICARE as secondary insurance if the military considers my doctors out-of-network.

If Standard would be better (and who on earth decided to call the basic version Prime and the upgrade Standard?) now that I'm signed up, is it too late to correct? DH, though wonderful, just uses Prime and doesn't have a whole lot of information for me.

TIA
  2. Moderator

You should probably call Tricare and ask them about this. There are specific options when you don't live within a certain radius of a military facility that can accept you, and they can tell you which would be best. They can also tell you when and how you can change your enrollment, if needed. Also, I don't believe Tricare is willing to pay any costs as a secondary insurer, but that may have changed in the decade since I last had multiple providers.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    You should probably call Tricare and ask them about this. There are specific options when you don't live within a certain radius of a military facility that can accept you, and they can tell you which would be best. They can also tell you when and how you can change your enrollment, if needed. Also, I don't believe Tricare is willing to pay any costs as a secondary insurer, but that may have changed in the decade since I last had multiple providers.
    Thanks!