Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Disability After Active Duty

1. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries

Disability After Active Duty

Advertisements
    Hey all, it's been a while. We are finished up our life on active duty back in July and are now back in our home town. I have a question about benefits now though!
    How long did it take for Disability to kick in for you, assuming you guys qualified for it?

My husband is using the GI bill. Is it true that the bah money can not be counted towards income when looking at a house mortage. It makes sense I suppose because it's not necessarily reliable but what was your experience with this?

TIA
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    It took DH 9 months to start receiving the disability payment. He got back paid though. No idea about the GI Bill but it sounds reasonable
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Took DH 5 months to receive disability from the day he got out...so maybe like 4 months from when he did the VA stuff. However, everyone he spoke with after he started getting money, said they were shocked it happened so quickly.

We are in the process of buying a house now and navy fed does not accept bah as income.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It was about 9 or 10 months before disability came...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    money received from the GI Bill is not counted as income for the purpose of qualifying for a mortgage. This would include housing allowances, etc.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Thanks y'all
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelizah View Post
    Hey all, it's been a while. We are finished up our life on active duty back in July and are now back in our home town. I have a question about benefits now though!
    How long did it take for Disability to kick in for you, assuming you guys qualified for it?

My husband is using the GI bill. Is it true that the bah money can not be counted towards income when looking at a house mortage. It makes sense I suppose because it's not necessarily reliable but what was your experience with this?

TIA
    Df was medboarded in April and all his stuff is slowly starting to come through. He was able to start school in August and start collecting unemployment in July also.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  8. Senior Member
    My husband ets'd in September and received his first deposit and back pay in December.
  9. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Also note that if involuntary separation pay (full or half) was received, disability payments will go directly to "pay back" the ISP in full before the veteran will receive any disability payments.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)