Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: If we have housing, do I have to live there?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

If we have housing, do I have to live there?

Advertisements
    I realize that sounds odd. Let's say my soldier and I get married, and he is assigned to Bragg. If single, he would have to stay in barracks, if married he could go home at night. If we are married, and we get housing, do I have to live there? I would be staying where I live now for the time being. I would probably ship some things down, like clothes and necessities for the house, but I would only visit sometimes. I can't move right now. I realize he would not get any kind of separation pay either way, because the Army would pay for me to move, and I have no valid medical reason for not going.

Forgive me if I'm asking something really ignorant.
  2. Senior Member
    No. He qualifies for housing (or a housing allowance) by virtue of being married. Whether you are there or not is irrelevant (unless you are overseas, which is a whole different animal).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    I disagree with villanelle. In some cases, it can make a difference if the family is living with the military member or not, especially at those locations where there is a waiting list for military housing. It is best to check with the specific location to find out the rules.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlite View Post
    I realize that sounds odd. Let's say my soldier and I get married, and he is assigned to Bragg. If single, he would have to stay in barracks, if married he could go home at night. If we are married, and we get housing, do I have to live there? I would be staying where I live now for the time being. I would probably ship some things down, like clothes and necessities for the house, but I would only visit sometimes. I can't move right now. I realize he would not get any kind of separation pay either way, because the Army would pay for me to move, and I have no valid medical reason for not going.

Forgive me if I'm asking something really ignorant.
    If yall get married after he's already stationed at Bragg then the Army will not pay to move your things.

But as PP said, call the housing office at that base to see what their policy is. He could always get a small apartment off base; that may be a better option anyway because he may be able to pocket some BAH, as opposed to giving up full BAH to base housing, if he rents something small since you'll only be visiting occasionally.

5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    If yall get married after he's already stationed at Bragg then the Army will not pay to move your things.

But as PP said, call the housing office at that base to see what their policy is. He could always get a small apartment off base; that may be a better option anyway because he may be able to pocket some BAH, as opposed to giving up full BAH to base housing, if he rents something small since you'll only be visiting occasionally.
    Thank you, that's kind of what I expected. I know we would have to be married before he was assigned there, if I wanted them to pay for me to move. A small apartment would be ideal, if it is cheaper. I will call the housing office when we get closer to that time. Just planning ahead for now.
  6. Senior Member
    At our current base (which is privatized housing) it is in the contract that the dependents will be residing with the AD member and if they aren't they forfeit their rights to live on base.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥