Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military Education?

1. Senior Member

Hello Military Education?

Advertisements
    Hey guys! So DB has his associates degree in behavioral sciences and is now in tech school for security forces! He is only 20 years old (as am I) and wants to go on and get his BS in Criminal Justice throughout his 4 years in the Air Force? Have any of your SOs gone to school while in military? is it difficult to do both? What about American Military University? Has anyone gone to this school, how is it? Any relevant comments please let me know!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

In security forces it'll be harder for him to attend school. Not impossible, but significantly more difficult due to the hours, shifts, and SF schedule in general. AMU is good for military who just want a degree. It's fully covered by TA and courses are only 8 weeks long. However, while its credible it's not viewed as respectable. I only considered AMU because it was basically my only option for a biology degree. It's not a college I would recommend for people who are going to try and put their degree to use. I've talked with a lot of AMU attendees and I get a lot of the same answer: it's an easy pass. One of my Captains went through AMU for her Masters and wrote multiple 45+ page papers... She always had a good grade the next day which just screams "my work wasn't read through and graded as it should have been"
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Dh got his undergrad and his MBA while active duty. He is currently working on his second masters degree.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    It's possible, but depending on his job, can be pretty difficult. I'd encourage him to go to a university that has a brick and mortar location and is well known and established, in addition to being regionally accredited (and never, ever a for-profit). Even if it is easier and more convenient, going to a school that no one really respects is going to end up being a waste of his time (and money if his benefits don't cover everything).

He should do research on tuition assistance, for starters.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DF is starting going back this month; just got it all set up yesterday. He is starting with just one class to see how it goes before bumping up to more. I, like Villanelle, would also recommend a brick and mortar school and not AMU. DF is going through Southern New Hampshire University and I did my MA online through UMass Lowell both online.
    Last edited by Wild*Rose; 07-13-2016 at 12:41 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    He is also going to have to wait to start taking courses. There are classes he will be required to do for his job and they will want to make sure he is learning his job first before they will approve the use of TA.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My husband got his bachelors and a specialized associates while active duty. It took him a long time because he only used TA and he did 2 deployments, work ups, a few schools for his job, and took some time off here and there. He had never attended college before then but he was able to get some credits for the schools he had taken in the military. I forget how many credits he was given but that did help some. There is a college office on every base he has been stationed. There they have colleges that have teachers/professors teaching some of the classes. My husband graduated from SIU, Southern Illinois University. Some of the classes were at the office and he took them on the weekend for about 8 hours each day. If I remember right it ended up being every other weekend. Other classes he took online and transferred over to SIU. They also gave the CLEP exams at the college office, too. They have advisors and my husband was in there a lot. It wasn't easy and took years so I'd say that it can be done but he needs to be prepared for it to possibly be harder than if he wasn't in the military and also take longer. When my husband was taking classes it seemed like work and classes is all he did.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My hubby (AF) Was able to get his bachelor's and masters while active duty, with tuition assistance provided by the air force (not GI Bill).
    The education office on base is very helpful and resourceful. They have universities and colleges on base, meaning, they provide courses (both online and in class) on base and available to active duty members. They do this to allow members to still attend class while they are TDY, or working shifts, etc. They are all respected and accredited. He shouldn't have to (or need to) attend a brick and mortar school. There are a pluthera of online univeristies that are respected and accredited, so don't let that deter you or him. It can be done, even with a shift schedule and tougher job. Criminal justice is a pretty common degree that is offered at a lot of universities.

I suggest he start with the education office and see if the colleges there provide a CJ degree.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    Okay definitely wont be looking into AMU anymore! Thanks guys!!!I think for now we will wait untill hes done with tech school and then have him talk to someone on base about educational opportunities.
  10. Senior Member
    Can anyone tell me what is the tuition assistance? I thought everyone just used the GI bill? He pays monthly untill he puts 1200$ down and then he will have 60k to spend on college?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast