Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Standard and Vision?

1. Senior Member

Tricare Standard and Vision?

Advertisements
    It's that time where I need new glasses and I have never had to see the eye doctor since I've had Tricare as a dependent. Anything I need to know before hand? Anyone know how expensive glasses may be? TIA!

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye14 View Post
    It's that time where I need new glasses and I have never had to see the eye doctor since I've had Tricare as a dependent. Anything I need to know before hand? Anyone know how expensive glasses may be? TIA!
    They cover a glasses exam. Glasses, contact exam and contacts are an out of pocket cost for you. If you don't go to the optometrist on a military installation than you need to ensure they take tricare.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Tricare covers exams and glasses lens. They do not cover frames or contacts (Exam or contacts).
    Frames range anywhere from $40-$500 depending on what you get.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Tricare covers exams and glasses lens.
    Only is very few cases do they cover glass lens for dependents. Vision Care - Glasses and Contacts | TRICARE
  5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Only is very few cases do they cover glass lens for dependents. Vision Care - Glasses and Contacts | TRICARE
    Thanks! Looks like I'll just be buying insurance because my glasses are expensive & I'm not paying over $500 for them every few years.

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I was going to say I have never know them to just cover them for all. Even my son who has eye surgery and specific lenses are required due to this, they didn't cover anything other than his exams (after the dr appts and surgery for his issues).
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My son's glasses lenses have always been covered. While active he was able to get them every year, only had to pay for frames. Now as retired, its every 2 years. But they cover lenses and exam, not frames.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye14 View Post
    Thanks! Looks like I'll just be buying insurance because my glasses are expensive & I'm not paying over $500 for them every few years.
    Lenses aren't that much. Call Tricare, because as I mentioned lenses have been covered. The frames is what makes glasses expensive, just don't buy the $500 frame. A lot of insurance companies cost more. When I was looking into it for my company (and this was multiple companies as each new job I would check), they had the same coverage as Tricare. They covered exam and glasses lenses, but not frames. Every now and then I would get one that would cover like $75 for frames, but that wasn't very often. And to get just vision insurance can cost more than the $500 per year. To get it 'free' you'd have to get dental and/or medical with that company. But it all depends.
    Before you jump right into private insurance, call Tricare first.

9. Senior Member
    I've bought glasses on base before and I remember the lenses getting discounted but not totally covered, and of course the frames weren't covered.

*I do get the more expensive lenses that eliminate glare at night while driving. so maybe that's why they weren't covered?

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I've bought glasses on base before and I remember the lenses getting discounted but not totally covered, and of course the frames weren't covered.

*I do get the more expensive lenses that eliminate glare at night while driving. so maybe that's why they weren't covered?
    Yes, they cover basic lenses. Anything for night time, computer, or transition lenses are not covered. They will cover the cost of a basic lens, the prescription... so that would discount if you get specialized lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast