Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help! I'm confused about his pay!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help! I'm confused about his pay!!!

Advertisements
    So my husband went to basic training on the 29th his recruiter said he would be paid byou the 15th. But nothing even though he said multiple times he would. And now I'm trying to get answers from him he asks am on worried about not paying bills. Well of course I am cause I counted on him being paid now I have no money and no one can help me. Why would his recruiter ask if I'm worried and is there any help out there for me???
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help! I'm confused about his pay!!!

So my husband went to basic training on the 29th his recruiter said he would be paid byou the 15th. But nothing even though he said multiple times he would. And now I'm trying to get answers from him he asks am on worried about not paying bills. Well of course I am cause I counted on him being paid now I have no money and no one can help me. Why would his recruiter ask if I'm worried and is there any help out there for me???
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Please do not post duplicate threads about the same topic as it is against TOS.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It is going to take time for the pay to kick in. Added, the first check may be different because you will have uniforms and things might be taken out.

Like all jobs, the first check can be one cycle late. That is normal in the employment world.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Senior Member
    Yes. This happens at all jobs. The first paycheck often hits the billing/pay cycle in such a way that it isn't processed in time and you have to wait a cycle (and then get double, so you aren't losing pay). That's not a military thing. It's a "most jobs" thing. And yes, be prepared for that check to be smaller than usual. He's going to be buying uniforms and other things, so he'll have already paid for those before the check is issued.

For future reference, each branch has an associated non-profit that can give you small-ish loans. For Navy an Marines, it is Navy Marine Corps Relief. But I don't know that you can utilize those without the service member (or maybe a Power of Attorney, if you got that before he left). But you can certainly call them and see. Some searching on google should tell you what organization serves whatever branch your husband is in if it isn't Navy or the Marines.

Is there someone from whom you can borrow? Also, it sounds like it is time for a very drastic cutting of your spending. If you don't have adequate savings to get you through an unexpected 2 week wait, then you are living way, way too close to the edge. I'm sure you won't listen, but in those shoes, I would be cutting *Everything*. No cable, no eating out, beans and rice or the cheapest foods I could find, and any other possible cuts. And I'd keep it that way until I had a cushion of at least a full month's pay. Because when you don't have that, even if his paycheck arrives when you expect, you are just a modest car repair away from disaster.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapthegreat View Post
    Are you sure there was no deposit from DFAS? Even a small one? His first pay will be much smaller than the following ones are going to be. There are a few things that need to be taken out.

And he probably asked if you were worried about paying bills because you called him. I do know they are told in advance to be prepared for the pay to be smaller and to plan accordingly.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes. This happens at all jobs. The first paycheck often hits the billing/pay cycle in such a way that it isn't processed in time and you have to wait a cycle (and then get double, so you aren't losing pay). That's not a military thing. It's a "most jobs" thing. And yes, be prepared for that check to be smaller than usual. He's going to be buying uniforms and other things, so he'll have already paid for those before the check is issued.

For future reference, each branch has an associated non-profit that can give you small-ish loans. For Navy an Marines, it is Navy Marine Corps Relief. But I don't know that you can utilize those without the service member (or maybe a Power of Attorney, if you got that before he left). But you can certainly call them and see. Some searching on google should tell you what organization serves whatever branch your husband is in if it isn't Navy or the Marines.

Is there someone from whom you can borrow? Also, it sounds like it is time for a very drastic cutting of your spending. If you don't have adequate savings to get you through an unexpected 2 week wait, then you are living way, way too close to the edge. I'm sure you won't listen, but in those shoes, I would be cutting *Everything*. No cable, no eating out, beans and rice or the cheapest foods I could find, and any other possible cuts. And I'd keep it that way until I had a cushion of at least a full month's pay. Because when you don't have that, even if his paycheck arrives when you expect, you are just a modest car repair away from disaster.
    With the AF, in the past the service member had to do it and they had to go to their first shirt to get permission (had to show need etc) because it was being abused. Not sure if that is still the case.
  8. Senior Member
    Perhaps what the recruiter meant was that military members are paid on the 1st and the 15th of every month. As stated above, it can take at least two cycles for the first pay check. As with most jobs, pay happens after the work has been done, so his pay on the 15th would be for work from the 1st through the 15th.
  9. Senior Member
    My DH went in on the 26th of October and didn't get his first pay til December 1st. The recruiter shouldn't have said that to you. It can take 30-45 days for his pay to start. What I suggest you do is call any bills you can't pay and explain it to them. "My husband is in the military and his pay hasn't started yet. I will pay as soon as his pay starts." I did that and for some I didn't have to pay late fees.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    29th start date would have been too late for a 15th pay day (meaning 2 weeks later). You should not expect a pay check until the 1st of the month following the first 30 days, so in your case 1 May. Not sure why the recruiter told you that, because as mentioned above, it can take 6-8 weeks to get the first paycheck. Some members are already out of basic and onto their school before they get their first check. The recruiter should have told you think of a plan for paying bills because his check would not have come that soon. I wouldn't even start calling or asking questions until 15 may, by then he should have a paycheck.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't