Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marine Corps Reserve benefits?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Marine Corps Reserve benefits?

Advertisements
    Hi!
    My DB recently enlisted into the Marine Reserves and I was just wondering what benefits he will get and what the differences might be from active duty benefits? I'm sill trying to figure everything out and I know some of you know way more about this than I do! Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryUSMC View Post
    Hi!
    My DB recently enlisted into the Marine Reserves and I was just wondering what benefits he will get and what the differences might be from active duty benefits? I'm sill trying to figure everything out and I know some of you know way more about this than I do! Thanks
    Google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...=1460618266096

Compares Active to Reserve:
    Marine Corps: Active Duty vs. Reserves – The Patriot Dude

The Fleet Marine Pros & Cons

Pros Of An Active Duty Marine:

Job security
    Paid for health insurance
    Paid housing
    Paid for food
    Paid for college education
    Scheduled PT
    Day-to-day practical application in your MOS
    Access to additional school, training and MCMAP instructors

Cons Of An Active Duty Marine:

Freedom is limited
    Required to live at the base or location that the Marine Corps chooses for you
    Mandatory field day every Thursday
    Unwarranted formations
    Less time for college education
    The Marine Reservist Pros & Cons

Pros Of A Marine Reservist:

Choose where you want to live
    More time to finish your college education
    Don’t have to put up with the day-to-day “stuff.”

Cons Of A Marine Reservist:

Must be self-motivated to do physical training
    NO direct college education funding for Marine Reservist
    You must provide and pay for your own health insurance
    Required to find and juggle a civilian career, as well as fulfill military duties on top of college
    Housing is not paid for
    Additional schools and training are harder to get into
    MCMAP instructors are scarce
    It takes longer to get ANYTHING approved
    Marine Reserve | USMC Reserve | Marines.com

The article I quoted is worth a read if you want to know the differences. I think the huge difference between active and reserve is that when you're active your ass is at the military's disposal 24/7. That means working 18 hour days 7 days a week if they tell you to. As a reserve, you maintain a civilian life in the place that you choose (active does not get a choice) and a civilian job while you're not at monthly weekend drill or deployed. But with active they do earn full benefits including medical which is a huge plus, where as reserve does not (unless deployed) which can be the downside.

But it seems like your boyfriend has committed to the reserves, right? He already weighed out the benefits and decided that the reserves suited him better.

3. Senior Member
    As a reservist there is medical coverage that can be paid into. The biggest benefit is being able to choose where to live and have a civilian career. The amount of time and energy commitment can vary, but as junior enlisted it should be pretty close to the standard one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer. There can also be volunteer deployments and temp assignments that come up.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...=1460618266096

Compares Active to Reserve:
    Marine Corps: Active Duty vs. Reserves – The Patriot Dude

Marine Reserve | USMC Reserve | Marines.com

The article I quoted is worth a read if you want to know the differences. I think the huge difference between active and reserve is that when you're active your ass is at the military's disposal 24/7. That means working 18 hour days 7 days a week if they tell you to. As a reserve, you maintain a civilian life in the place that you choose (active does not get a choice) and a civilian job while you're not at monthly weekend drill or deployed. But with active they do earn full benefits including medical which is a huge plus, where as reserve does not (unless deployed) which can be the downside.

But it seems like your boyfriend has committed to the reserves, right? He already weighed out the benefits and decided that the reserves suited him better.
    Yes, he has committed to the reserves because although he wants to be a Marine, he also has some really good civilian job opportunities and decided to go the reserves route because of that. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!