Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Retired Vision Care

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Retired Vision Care

Advertisements
    My children had vision appointments in Aug 2014 when my husband was active duty. When my husband retired we continued our Tricare Prime. My kids had vision exams again in Dec 2015. Tricare says it is not covered because they only cover exams for retired beneficiaries once every 2 years. Shouldn't they cover year 1 and not year 2?
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Debrahas View Post
    My children had vision appointments in Aug 2014 when my husband was active duty. When my husband retired we continued our Tricare Prime. My kids had vision exams again in Dec 2015. Tricare says it is not covered because they only cover exams for retired beneficiaries once every 2 years. Shouldn't they cover year 1 and not year 2?
    No, not according to Vision Care - Eye Exams for Retirees, Their Families and All Others
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yup, vision for retirees is every two years, even for dependents. You will have to pay out of pocket for the off year if you want to take your kids annually.
    For us, it wasn't that much, since frames aren't covered by Tricare anyway it only cost an extra $40. At the place we went to, if they did the exam that gave you lenses for free and discount on certain frames. In the end, it only cost $40 more than the year before, again because Tricare doesn't cover frames, and not always full price of lenses (depends on kind of lens)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Senior Member
    Prescriptions are generally good for 2 years anyway just for an FYI for next time.