Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Going off base for Women's health

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Going off base for Women's health

Advertisements
    Short Version:

Does anyone know if you can go off base for your yearly exam if you have tricare prime and "access" to women's clinic on base?

I'm at my wits end with this base's clinic and need another option.

Long Version:

I wanted to do my yearly women's clinic exam in January so I called in December to make the appointment. I was told they couldn't schedule for January yet, they only do 28 days out. Annoying, but okay.

Today (my first opportunity since holidays and our vacations) I called to schedule it, and assumed I would be able to make it for sometime in the next 28 days, which I knew might push it into February, but that is fine. She tells me the only appointment available is on February 10th. I have a diabetes appointment that day, that is much more important than a wellness exam. I say I have an appointment that day already, and ask what is the next available after that. "That is the only appointment available until they load more into the computer". I ask when they will load more and she says "We don't know, so just call every day".

I know some people might not find this to be a big deal, but phone calls are a big deal for me and something I absolutely hate, but have to face constantly so calling everyday because of a shitty system is not something that fits into my life. I realize there were other opportunities to call between my first call and now, but as I've said, phone calls are hard for me and we were out of town/service much of the past month.

I try to be a responsible patient, I'm trying to be proactive and be organized and not put off appointments that don't seem super important. Then they go and throw up the stupidest roadblocks and then act like it isn't a big deal. I have dozens of appointments a year I need to coordinate. I'm patient, and can accept needing to book months in advance. But I can't deal with not ever being able to book them.

This is in addition to the fact that I've had bad experiences with both the providers there, but I was okay dealing with that because I don't need much/anything from them aside from a freaking wellness exam. Rawr.

2. Senior Member
    I don't think you can go civilian unless you switch to Standard or are assigned an civilian PCM (which they do when the military system is full, but it is luck of the draw and in some areas never happens). It's unfortuante that they don't have a better system, as surely there is some way they can do better than that. You might want to submit an ICE comment for your base (and you can do it via email--I share your discomfort with phone calls).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't think you can go civilian unless you switch to Standard or are assigned an civilian PCM (which they do when the military system is full, but it is luck of the draw and in some areas never happens). It's unfortuante that they don't have a better system, as surely there is some way they can do better than that. You might want to submit an ICE comment for your base (and you can do it via email--I share your discomfort with phone calls).
    Thanks. I actually am in the middle of getting switched to an off base PCM for special circumstances, so I'll ask the person I'm working with about this as well. I didn't think of that in the moment of frustration I was having earlier today. I'll look at leaving a comment as well. The coverage of tricare is awesome, but the base hospital makes life as hard as they possibly can and then out does themselves again the next year
  4. Regular Member
    Sounds like my base. I have found that for appointments like that I don't need to go to my PCM as long as a I have a female doctor (my own comfort level). Our clinic is so small and 8 docs for 2 teams so I just see someone on the team my PCM is on.
  5. Senior Member
    We have access to a women's clinic on our base and are allowed to be seen off base yearly for a PAP on Prime. Our base's facility is not equipped to handle everyone. Call and ask the appointment line. They'll either know the answer or be able to put your question through to women's health.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The appointment fill up fast. They will have openings that are cancelled those days or they might be able to open a slot. To get off base care, you'll need a referral for Tricare Prime. If you are switching to standard, you can go to whatever doctor is in the system for it.

Considering there is an appointment in Feb and they could get you in, that was pretty good. There has already been 8 days ahead of you. This happens with civilian Doctors too. They fill up when people call in. It is a first come first serve business.

you can schedule appointments online. It is on the Tricare website. You just log in and do it. They will pull the schedule on what is available.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I'm prime but allowed a yearly visit to my gyn for the pap and all that off base.
  8. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Have you tried making your appointments on the tricare webpage? You can do that now! If not, I would just call everyday, as annoying as it is. I don't think you can go off base unless you're on Standard.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I rarely call my appointments in, I do them online. And if you have multiple bases in your area, you can select to go to any base, doesn't have to be base of station.

Unfortunately this appointment system has been like this since I can remember (at least 20+ years), have to call daily or at least every other day...

I would also ask if you can do it off base, as others have suggested.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Are there any other bases near you? I live within 30 minutes of 3 bases with clinics/hospitals. (AF, Army, and Navy) even though DH is AF I can choose where I want to be see and even where prescriptions are filled. Would that be an option for you?