Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What's the next step after getting your spouse ID card?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

What's the next step after getting your spouse ID card?

Advertisements
    My husband is currently stationed in Germany and I'm not sure what I need to do next. He is telling me to file a no fee passport (which I have to I know idea how to fill out) and to get a physical. Please can anyone help?
  2. Senior Member
    Are you trying to move to Germany? Has he gotten you added to orders? (What branch is is, since different services do the process differently?)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddfamily1 View Post
    My husband is currently stationed in Germany and I'm not sure what I need to do next. He is telling me to file a no fee passport (which I have to I know idea how to fill out) and to get a physical. Please can anyone help?
    He needs to get his orders amended to include dependents and than you will have to get your screenings done to get command sponsorship. After that happens than you will get a plane ticket and a passport.

It all hinges on him requesting to amend his orders to bring you over though. That does not always happen. Depends on how long he has left overseas.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you I will look into that.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddfamily1 View Post
    Thank you I will look into that.
    It isn't a matter of you looking into it. I don't want you under the impression you can do anything (not trying to be mean just to be clear) until he does what he has to do. You can get a dental checkup and a medical checkup and get clean bill of health for if/when he is able to get you added to his orders.

Otherwise, it is all on him and he has to be the one to do it.
  6. Senior Member
    So you are trying to move to Germany? Then he needs to talk with his command about getting orders amended. Like SQ said, it is not something you can do. It will be 100% on him. In the mean time, you can make sure you are current on all immunizations, get a TB test and HIV test, get a pap smear, get a dental cleaning (and fix any outstanding dental issues), and get copies of your civilian medical records. You may need some or all that, so get it done now so it is ready to go once you get to that part of the process. You can also start saving money as you will likely have to pay for your own plane ticket and the expenses of moving your stuff to Germany.

If you have a pet, you should also start that process immediately.

Lastly, you can apply for a regular tourist passport for you and your DH. This isn't required (and you have to pay for it), but if you and DH want to travel anywhere outside Germany, you are required to have a regular passport. Your no fee is only to get you to and from the country of his orders.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    So you are trying to move to Germany? Then he needs to talk with his command about getting orders amended. Like SQ said, it is not something you can do. It will be 100% on him. In the mean time, you can make sure you are current on all immunizations, get a TB test and HIV test, get a pap smear, get a dental cleaning (and fix any outstanding dental issues), and get copies of your civilian medical records. You may need some or all that, so get it done now so it is ready to go once you get to that part of the process. You can also start saving money as you will likely have to pay for your own plane ticket and the expenses of moving your stuff to Germany.

If you have a pet, you should also start that process immediately.

Lastly, you can apply for a regular tourist passport for you and your DH. This isn't required (and you have to pay for it), but if you and DH want to travel anywhere outside Germany, you are required to have a regular passport. Your no fee is only to get you to and from the country of his orders.
    Agreed with those above. Getting you there depends on a few things...how long as the sponsor been there and how much is left of his tour. In order for them to bring you over, he has to have enough time there left to justify them bringing you over. Many tours for a single guy are 18-24 month. For a married couple, you are talking 3-4 years.

As the previous posters said, you can't do anything. All you can do is make sure your Dental, Immunizations, and medication are up to date. If you have a pet, that all needs to be up to date; but, not too far in advance either.

Good luck.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz