Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Bliss BAH

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Fort Bliss BAH

Advertisements
    My husband just put in our marriage paperwork Also I live I Cali and he's in Tx but because he's married they said he can't live in the barracks so he has to move out soon I wanted to know how long it will take BAH to kick in ? also how long does it take to get housing on post usually ? Also how do I prove that I have Tricare when going to a dr apt do I just show my military ID?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    BAH takes about 6-8 weeks for you to see it, but he will get back paid to date of marriage. And yes, he cannot live in barracks if he is married. Housing wait is different for each base, he (or you) will need to contact fort bliss housing office to get accurate info. You all will also have to find out if he can be on the wait-list without you there. If you live in housing, you will not get BAH, so its a little different. You either live off base and get BAH (again 6-8 weeks for it to kick in), or live on base and get no BAH.

You can't just go to any doctor, you have to go to a doctor that accepts Tricare. You are likely on Tricare Standard (unless your husband stated otherwise when he submitted paperwork). You will need to go to Tricare online to find doctors near you that accept Tricare. Most information on Tricare you can find online, should you need help.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Egxoxo View Post
    My husband just put in our marriage paperwork Also I live I Cali and he's in Tx but because he's married they said he can't live in the barracks so he has to move out soon I wanted to know how long it will take BAH to kick in ? also how long does it take to get housing on post usually ? Also how do I prove that I have Tricare when going to a dr apt do I just show my military ID?
    BAH can take 2 weeks or it can take 8 plus weeks. But yes, due to him being married he is not allowed to live in the barracks. To get housing, that again could take same day he applies (rare) to 24 plus months (also rare). Average is 3-6 months but it is good to know there is variation in that time frame. It depends on the base, the time of year, what sort of housing he is eligible for etc. Typically though, he can't get on the housing list unless his dependents are there. And as stated, if you live on base he will not get BAH, housing takes that as payment for living in their houses.

As for tricare, you must be seen by a doctor that takes tricare. Are you on standard or prime? If your doctor takes tricare all you have to do is state your insurance is tricare and give them your military ID.
  4. Senior Member
    We waited about a month for something to become available on post but there was housing available in off post military housing almost right away. I would suggest starting the process ASAP. Balfour has a website for Bliss housing where you can apply and see what might be available. Once I established communication with someone from housing they were able to send me YouTube videos of walk-throughs of different homes. Hopefully, since the summer rush is winding down, the process will go a fairly smoothly for you.

If you go to a doctor on post, the only proof of Tricare you need is your military ID. Everything else is in the computer here. If you're going to a doctor off post, as others have said, make sure you're going to a doctor that accepts Tricare. I've found it easiest to set everything up online and they are very helpful over the phone as well if you don't mind waiting.