Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living On Base With SO?

1. Regular Member

Living On Base With SO?

Advertisements
    If you were to live on base with your SO is it like living/paying for a normal house but it's just on base? Also could anyone give me links or information about living on base?
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by reedcoral0 View Post
    If you were to live on base with your SO is it like living/paying for a normal house but it's just on base? Also could anyone give me links or information about living on base?
    You need to be married to live on base with your SO.

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjamin View Post
    You need to be married to live on base with your SO.
    I know that.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by reedcoral0 View Post
    I know that.
    Well good, didn't know you were married.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. Senior Member
    It might depend on the base, but for us, instead of receiving BAH in his pay it just went straight to housing or wherever. We didn't pay for utilities either. If we were below allowance we got a check for the difference and I guess if we went over we would've gotten a bill, but that never happened.
  6. Senior Member
    It will depend on the base but essentially you apply for housing (the member must be assigned to that base or live at a base near that has no base housing such as Nellis AFB and Creech AFB in NV). For him to get housing he must have dependents. A spouse or children that he has primary custody of.

Than once he gets offered a house you live there. The housing office generally takes all of the BAH and for most now you have a utility allowance and if you go over that amount you are responsible for paying the difference.

But without a base he is being assigned to, no links can not be given because every base is different. Even bases that are in different states ran by the same company are different.

That aside....did you realized you posted this in the newbies forum instead of general or a more specialized forum? Might want to ask to get it moved so that more people will see it.
  7. Senior Member
    At most bases the money will go straight out of his pay to pay for your place on base. However, I've seen in some circumstances people bring a rent check into the housing office each month. Rent and utilities are covered but a lot of bases have started this new system where if you go over your allotted amount then you will be charged, and if you are under then you will get a small amount of money back. Maintenance is included so if you have any issues with things not working right they will come out and fix it.

Are you simply curious about living on base versus off base and what people prefer?

8. Senior Member
    In most cases, they simply take the part of his pay that is intended to cover house. It's called BAH (Basic Allowance, Housing). When they live in civilian housing, they get that. In military housing, it is taken away. There are some cases where not all of it is taken, but they are unusual. Including with his house on base would be most basic utilities (electricity, water, etc.) but in some cases they charge those who use a lot each month, and give a little money to those who use least.

Also, some military housing is on the base, and other is in non-gated communities out in town. There are all sorts of situations.

And if he ends up overseas, most of these answers are different.

If you want info about living on base, do a search of this site. It's been discussed eleventy billion times. Every 3-4 months we have a "on base vs. off base" thread where people discuss which they prefer, and why. But people get tired of reposting the same stuff, so the search bar is your friend. If you want other articles, google has a lot.

Since you aren't married, your boyfriend hasn't even graduated boot camp yet, and he has no idea where he's moving, this is all very far off of you of course.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    At most bases the money will go straight out of his pay to pay for your place on base. However, I've seen in some circumstances people bring a rent check into the housing office each month. Rent and utilities are covered but a lot of bases have started this new system where if you go over your allotted amount then you will be charged, and if you are under then you will get a small amount of money back. Maintenance is included so if you have any issues with things not working right they will come out and fix it.

Are you simply curious about living on base versus off base and what people prefer?
    Yes! I think living on base would be better but i was also just curious to hear what other people had to say about it.
  10. Senior Member
    I really enjoy living in base housing, but I think it's totally dependent on the base. Rental prices are very high for our area and DH and I decided we did not want to own where we are.

I love the close proximity to the squadron for DH, utilities are paid including water, gas, electric and garbage, our lawncare is provided, and the (most likely false) sense of security I get from living in a literally gated community.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast