Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Wife LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New Wife LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!

Advertisements
    My Sailor and I got married in July and I have a lot of questions. I was hoping some of you would be able to help me out.

1. When I went to get my military ID I had yet to change my last name over to my husbands. I explained the situation to the woman, but she still put my maiden name on the military ID. How can I get the last name changed now because my driver license and my social security have both been changed now?

2. My husband is currently in C school. He will be there till October and we are both wondering when we should contact the housing office for our first PCS? We will be moving to Whidbey Island, Washington. That is pretty far from our home town so we are trying to figure that stuff out ASAP.

3. How does moving for your first time work. Do I meet my husband there or does he meet me?

4. I contacted tricare and got put on tricare prime. What is the significance of prime?

I know this is a lot of questions, but we are both Navy noobs. My husband has only been in for about five months now. We are trying to figure all of this out together, but I have so many question and no idea who to ask. Thank ya'll so much
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Welcome! I don't know all the answers but I can try to help

1) You should be able to go back to the ID office (maybe after you guys PCS?) and get a new ID. I don't think it's a huge deal to have it in your maiden name though.

2) As far as I know, he has to arrange it through the office at his C school. Hopefully someone else can chime in, I never actually did a PCS with DH

3) Dunno.

4) Tricare prime means you'll be assigned a Primary Care Provider (either an MD or nurse practitioner) who will be your point of contact for getting references to other doctors. It also means you can only go to military care facilities (unless referred out) and can't just pick whatever doctor you want to see. It's also all free.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcham532 View Post
    My Sailor and I got married in July and I have a lot of questions. I was hoping some of you would be able to help me out.

1. When I went to get my military ID I had yet to change my last name over to my husbands. I explained the situation to the woman, but she still put my maiden name on the military ID. How can I get the last name changed now because my driver license and my social security have both been changed now?

2. My husband is currently in C school. He will be there till October and we are both wondering when we should contact the housing office for our first PCS? We will be moving to Whidbey Island, Washington. That is pretty far from our home town so we are trying to figure that stuff out ASAP.

3. How does moving for your first time work. Do I meet my husband there or does he meet me?

4. I contacted tricare and got put on tricare prime. What is the significance of prime?

I know this is a lot of questions, but we are both Navy noobs. My husband has only been in for about five months now. We are trying to figure all of this out together, but I have so many question and no idea who to ask. Thank ya'll so much
    Do you mean contact base housing to get on the waiting list? Different areas have different rules. For example, on one of our moves, they would not let DH get on the housing list until he had checked out of his old command (so a house was not available for us when we checked in the new command-- we had to wait a few months). You should give the housing at your new base a call and see what their policy is.

I don't exact understand what you're asking in #3. Like does he make the trip with you? That's up to you. When I married my husband I moved my stuff up from TX to NC on my own with out military assistance. But the last 2 PCS the military moved us and we drove together.

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    You can change it when you get to the new base, it is easiest if he is with you, but having maiden name is not a big deal, you can change it when it expires or when he makes rank.

You can contact housing now to find out what their 'rules' are. Likely thought it could be that you cannot do anything until he gets hard orders. Calling them directly will get you the wait list length.
    If you are referring to when they pick up goods for shipment, he will set that all up with TMO and finance when he gets his orders. You really can do nothing except make phone call to housing office in Whidbey.

This all depends. They can either send him directly to base and have you deal with moving all on your own, or they will send him to where you are to get everything shipped and you all go together. When he sets everything up he will get his answer.

Prime simply means you get seen at a military treatment facility (MTF). You can be seen outside an MTF if you are not in your base location, or if you need a referral. Its a matter of whether you want to pay a co-pay and find a new doctor each base, or just let them assign you a doctor at the MTF.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcham532 View Post

1: You now need to go in with your marriage license, drivers license, and social security card to get a new one made with your married name. The lady that did your card had to put what was on your legal identification. If it was still your maiden name that is what had to go down. There is no rush, but if your id card has your maiden name and everything else has your married name, I would make sure you keep everything handy to show them. It is a pain.

2: You can call and ask the housing office about their guidelines but chances are they will not put him on the list until he either there or 30 days before he is due to report. He will need his orders to be able to fill out the the housing request. And for him to get it, they must have him listed with dependents. So if you have gotten married after he got orders that will have to be amended.

3: Again, your husband will need his official orders to set up TMO. Once he is done with schooling as long as you are on the orders he should (key word there) be able to come to where you are to get everything done. But either you need a Power Of Attorney or he needs to do it at school to set up the move with TMO (the office who deals with setting up moves).

4: Prime is just the medical where you have no co-pays (unless you get meds off base). But you have to get a referral to pretty much see anyone that is not your primary care manager. You have to get a referral to be seen at other hospitals (say you are out of town or the base only has a clinic and you need to go after clinic hours). It is nice that there are no bills involved though.

Hope that helps!