Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step Children- benefits

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question Step Children- benefits

Advertisements
    Hello everyone!

My husband was going to join the Army National Guard, but we decided to go active Army.He is studying to earn a higher AFQT score as of right now so we have not talked to Army recruiter. Today he got a call from his National Guard recruiter and he told him that me(his wife)and my children (his step children)will not receive any benefits because they are not his children. I am assuming he means Tricare, insurance,and BAH.Is this true? there are no custody battles going on. the only father they both know is my husband.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    My daughter is not legally my husband's but when we went and applied for insurance(the tricare) and etc she was counted as one of his dependent. So she got the health coverage and she was considered when we talked about the size of place we'd get if we lived in housing. She lives mostly with me though and very rarely sees her birth father. So my daughter IS my husband's dependent..

I would call /talk to them about it and get a better understanding as to why that is an issue, if at all. I have no idea it's never been an issue for me with the military or in the civilian world to get my daughter covered as my husband's dependent.
    Signature removed due to size.
  3. Senior Member
    You might want to do some research because my children ( my husband's step children) and I receive benefits.
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

My daughter was not biologically DH's and she was covered under tricare so I would tell him to investigate further or speak with someone else.

Here is the Tricare website too to verify this.

Eligibility - Children

5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

It is different for national guard though so that may be possible but if he's going active duty Army then it wouldn't apply to you. Here is the info for Tricare and National Guard/Reserves but maybe someone else will have more info.

http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files...ces_NGR_FS.pdf

6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    It is different for national guard though so that may be possible but if he's going active duty Army then it wouldn't apply to you. Here is the info for Tricare and National Guard/Reserves but maybe someone else will have more info.

http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files...ces_NGR_FS.pdf
    I was going to say that I was pretty sure it was different for National Guard, verus going active duty in the Army (or whatever branch).

My husband is active duty Marine Corps, and my children (his step children) are covered under his Tricare. Since we are married, he already gets BAH with dependents, so that didn't change with the addition of my children.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all so much! I also had looked it up and found nothing other then what was said on here.I don't know why he would say that but it just didn't not sound right. the only thing I found was if/when the other parent took care of or paid 50% or more of the living and what not,and that is by far not the case.
    Thank you all again so much!
  8. Senior Member
    Just throwing this out there, is legally adopting them an option? Would that change anything?

Just a thought.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    Go to the link Amandalouwho provided, the National Guard recruiter is correct with regards to guard members.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile

Irish85- legal adoption is definitely something we want to do and have talked an adoption lawyer. However we do not have the means as of right now but we are planning on it

Amandalouwho- Thank you for the link, it cleared it up for me

-again thank you everyone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast