Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, money questions :-)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New here, money questions :-)

Advertisements
    My husband is in the process of enlisting in the Army. He met with his recruiter today and was told that he would attend MEPS next week and probably head to bootcamp in the next two to three weeks. I wasn't expecting it to be so soon!! I am trying to prepare for this financially and could use some advice for what to expect once he has left...
    I know almost nothing about how the military pay situation works. I know that he is supposed to be an E4 so I was able to look up the pay chart for 2015.
    But I don't know how BAH works... is it my zip code while he is in bootcamp or is it the zip code where he is?
    And do I even get BAH while he is in bootcamp or does it start after he finishes?
    And once he is done with bootcamp, if I decide not to relocate our family to be where he is, will we still get BAH while he is in school and then stationed?
    Sorry if I'm asking silly questions or don't know the right wording, this is super new to me.
    My husband and I are both in IT and he recently decided he really wanted to join the military, it was shocking. He is 32 and I am 35, so I didn't anticipate our lives heading in this direction and I'm still kind of reeling.
    Any info or advice would be super welcome.
    Thank you!
    KHE
  2. Senior Member
    BAH is for your zip code while he is at boot camp, you also will get family separation pay (I can't remember how much it is, but it is about $200 a month). The first few pay checks will be wonky because of all the gear that he will have to pay for.
    He will get BAH where he is stationed once he is at his first duty station. Not sure about training, I think if he goes to training and the training is unaccompanied I believe they will pay for the BAH for your zip code.
  3. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    BAH is for your zip code while he is at boot camp, you also will get family separation pay (I can't remember how much it is, but it is about $200 a month). The first few pay checks will be wonky because of all the gear that he will have to pay for.
    He will get BAH where he is stationed once he is at his first duty station. Not sure about training, I think if he goes to training and the training is unaccompanied I believe they will pay for the BAH for your zip code.
    FSA is 300.00 I thought.
    Yes BAH is based off of your location while he is in bootcamp
    BAH while he is in AIT is based off of your location. However not sure if the Army works it like Navy... if A school (Navy AIT) is longer then 3 months families can go with.

I am 33 years old and am enlisting with the NAVY. I have to finish processing all of my paperwork... lol But we are a bit diffrent DH has been in the Navy since 1999.

It is fun and exciting times!!!!
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

FSA is $250 per month or $8.33 per day.

Family Separation Allowance
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    His first paycheck will be messed up. It may take a good 30-45 days to get everything fixed. Added, they will be removing things out of his pay to cover his cost of uniforms and what is needed.

After that, your BAH (Since you are married) will be based where you are at until his first duty assignment. That would be after his schooling (I don't know Army).

As for figuring out what his pay, I would wait until he is finished with Boot to understand his rank. I wouldn't trust the recruiters to say he will be an E4 until he is done. You are going to have to wing it until things are settled down.

At this point, work on saving money, cleaning your place to get rid of unwanted things (it will be a weight allowance on moving) and just survive. It takes time to get all he paperwork in, you will get back pay; but, things can be tight during this time.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Not sure how he can go in as an E4 versus an E3.. he won't get E4 pay until he finishes basic and schooling and on to his first assignment

BAH won't start until 30 days after he has started bootcamp and it will be at the E1 rate (as well as his pay), but it will be back pay from day 1. Family separation also won't begin until day 31, and I don't believe this is back paid. BAH will be for your zip code.

If he has unaccompanied orders for his AIT then you can stay where you are and BAH will continue based on your zip code, and Family Separation will continue. If it is accompanied AIT orders and you choose to stay behind, then you will no longer get family separation and BAH will change to his AIT location. When he gets orders for his duty station, all things will be based on his zip code.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    You've been given some great advice on the money questions, so I won't comment on that. But it looks like you have your full name as your username. You may want to change that for security reasons. You can start a thread in "Private Channel With Staff" to get it changed if it is your name.

See here:PERSEC
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Not sure how he can go in as an E4 versus an E3.. he won't get E4 pay until he finishes basic and schooling and on to his first assignment

BAH won't start until 30 days after he has started bootcamp and it will be at the E1 rate (as well as his pay), but it will be back pay from day 1. Family separation also won't begin until day 31, and I don't believe this is back paid. BAH will be for your zip code.

If he has unaccompanied orders for his AIT then you can stay where you are and BAH will continue based on your zip code, and Family Separation will continue. If it is accompanied AIT orders and you choose to stay behind, then you will no longer get family separation and BAH will change to his AIT location. When he gets orders for his duty station, all things will be based on his zip code.
    I thought that army did it differently than AF in regards to how fam sep works. But (unless things have changed) you do get paid from day one, it just is paid in for the 30 days before. Like he leaves Sept 1st it starts than, but it would show to him til at least Oct 1st pay.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I thought that army did it differently than AF in regards to how fam sep works. But (unless things have changed) you do get paid from day one, it just is paid in for the 30 days before. Like he leaves Sept 1st it starts than, but it would show to him til at least Oct 1st pay.
    I can't remember.. I didn't think FSH was back paid, but it might be.. I just know it won't be received until after 30 days.. BAH could come in the first paycheck, but not always.. BAH often comes sooner than FSH.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    You've been given some great advice on the money questions, so I won't comment on that. But it looks like you have your full name as your username. You may want to change that for security reasons. You can start a thread in "Private Channel With Staff" to get it changed if it is your name.

See here:PERSEC
    Thank you! It's not my real name though :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast