Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH? BAS? Money for Spouse?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Confused BAH? BAS? Money for Spouse?

Advertisements
    Hello All,
    I am getting married in 3 days and I am lost!

We have an appointment set up with DEERS on the 29th so that I can get my ID, but I was wondering when all of the benefits will start appearing on the "checks".
    Is it true that your spouse gets paid for being married; an extra $500 , give or take?

After DEERS, where else do we need to go?

Thank in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Lol spouses don't get paid. How long it takes to start receiving BAH just depends, sometimes it's fast sometimes it's not. My husband started getting his relatively quickly though, I believe within a few checks.
  3. Senior Member
    Spouses don't get paid. Service members get BAH to provide housing for their families, and BAS is for food for the solider - not the family.

And as for when the BAH and BAS will appear on the check, it really just depends on how fast the paperwork gets processed.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kali_dreaming View Post
    Hello All,
    I am getting married in 3 days and I am lost!

We have an appointment set up with DEERS on the 29th so that I can get my ID, but I was wondering when all of the benefits will start appearing on the "checks".
    Is it true that your spouse gets paid for being married; an extra $500 , give or take?

After DEERS, where else do we need to go?

Thank in advance!
    The extra pay you may be thinking of is for food and housing. For example, instead of eating at the chow hall and sleeping in the barracks, he will be given an allowance to cover his food and lodging. Other than that, he does not get any special spousal pay.

Edit: it's been a while, but I don't remember personally having to do much. A lot of the paperwork was stuff DH took care of on his own. The marriage prep course he was required to take told him most of what he needed to take care of.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Pretty sure we were married 5 months before we got any adjustment for BAH. I think that was an oversight though and then we got it all in backpay one month.
  6. Senior Member
    DH was already receiving BAH/BAS when we got married. I think his went up like $200 which was the difference in BAH w/o dependents and BAH w/ dependents. People always talk about making so much more money when they are married, but it isn't that much. Also, if you plan on living on base, you won't see any BAH, they normally take all the money for "Rent"

If I recall correctly, once enrolled in DEERS you will automatically be set up in Tricare Standard which is more like a PPO. If you want an HMO like plan you will want to go to Tricare Prime. I believe you have to go to the Tricare office to set that up.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    DH was already receiving BAH/BAS when we got married. I think his went up like $200 which was the difference in BAH w/o dependents and BAH w/ dependents. People always talk about making so much more money when they are married, but it isn't that much. Also, if you plan on living on base, you won't see any BAH, they normally take all the money for "Rent"

If I recall correctly, once enrolled in DEERS you will automatically be set up in Tricare Standard which is more like a PPO. If you want an HMO like plan you will want to go to Tricare Prime. I believe you have to go to the Tricare office to set that up.

Thank you. I didn't know that about the health care. Something to definitely look into.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post
    Pretty sure we were married 5 months before we got any adjustment for BAH. I think that was an oversight though and then we got it all in backpay one month.

Oh man, that sucks. At least that backpay check was nice though.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The extra pay you may be thinking of is for food and housing. For example, instead of eating at the chow hall and sleeping in the barracks, he will be given an allowance to cover his food and lodging. Other than that, he does not get any special spousal pay.

Edit: it's been a while, but I don't remember personally having to do much. A lot of the paperwork was stuff DH took care of on his own. The marriage prep course he was required to take told him most of what he needed to take care of.

Thank you. I figured it was a rumor, but I just wanted to make sure. Someone told me it is on the LES and most people overlook it.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bars_and_bodegas View Post
    Spouses don't get paid. Service members get BAH to provide housing for their families, and BAS is for food for the solider - not the family.

And as for when the BAH and BAS will appear on the check, it really just depends on how fast the paperwork gets processed.

Thank you. I think I may have worded my post wrong. I'm not expecting to get paid. Someone told me that it is on the LES in a certain section that most people overlook. It shows extra money (not BAH or BAS) for spouses. Have to love rumors. lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast