Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Bootcamp Financial Issues

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Bootcamp Financial Issues

Advertisements
    my husband is at boot camp with the USMC. he's only been gone 3 weeks and we've already had so many issues. I need so much help!

1) I gave my husbands recruiter my social security card and birth certificate 5 weeks ago so that I can become a dependent on my husband I still have not gotten those documents back nor have I been given any paperwork to go to deers and fill anything out. where do I go from here because clearly his recruiter doesn't know what he's doing?

2) we were supposed to get 1400 dollars in bah but we're not how do I go about changing this if I can change it? based on the bah calculator listed on here the 1400 is what we're supposed to be getting.

3) how do I get power of attorney over my husband because I haven't received anything in the mail to get entered into deers?

4) when your spouse went to basic training or boot camp about how much did their initial gear cost?

if anyone could help me out with these questions that would be amazing because I have a strong feeling that we're getting screwed over
  2. Senior Member
    BAH can take 30 days or more to kick in. Also, the first paychecks are small as often there are uniforms to be purchased and other expenses.

If you want Power of Attorney, that something your husband has to fill out. You can't do it as he has to sign to authorize it. You probably should have taken care of that ahead of time. He might be able to get it done in boot camp, but he'd need to mail it to you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Moderator

You aren't getting screwed over. It's only been three weeks. I know that doesn't help you right now, but it takes awhile to get pay and BAH situated. His first couple of paychecks will be for boot camp stuff, like uniforms and his necessities.

Power of Attorney should have been done beforehand. I honestly don't know when or if he will have time to do it for you in boot camp.

Lastly, I'm sure your husband's recruiter knows what he is doing. My husband is a Marine Corps recruiter. They get insanely busy.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsNeal5_1_15 View Post
    my husband is at boot camp with the USMC. he's only been gone 3 weeks and we've already had so many issues. I need so much help!

1) I gave my husbands recruiter my social security card and birth certificate 5 weeks ago so that I can become a dependent on my husband I still have not gotten those documents back nor have I been given any paperwork to go to deers and fill anything out. where do I go from here because clearly his recruiter doesn't know what he's doing?

2) we were supposed to get 1400 dollars in bah but we're not how do I go about changing this if I can change it? based on the bah calculator listed on here the 1400 is what we're supposed to be getting.

3) how do I get power of attorney over my husband because I haven't received anything in the mail to get entered into deers?

4) when your spouse went to basic training or boot camp about how much did their initial gear cost?

if anyone could help me out with these questions that would be amazing because I have a strong feeling that we're getting screwed over
    QFP

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    You aren't getting screwed over. It's only been three weeks. I know that doesn't help you right now, but it takes awhile to get pay and BAH situated. His first couple of paychecks will be for boot camp stuff, like uniforms and his necessities.

Power of Attorney should have been done beforehand. I honestly don't know when or if he will have time to do it for you in boot camp.

Lastly, I'm sure your husband's recruiter knows what he is doing. My husband is a Marine Corps recruiter. They get insanely busy.

They always blame the recruiters first
  5. Senior Member
    Your husband most likely has your social security card and birth certificate with him because he needed it so that they could enter you into the system in order to generate the paperwork necessary for you to be able to get your ID card.

The military gets paid on the 1st and the 15th of the month, in arrears. It does take a bit of time to receive the first pay, but it will eventually be deposited.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsNeal5_1_15 View Post

1: Go to that recruiter and ask for your documents. If he doesn't have them than yeah most likely your husband does.

2: It takes approx a month for BAH to show on paychecks at the earliest. It could take longer. But there is nothing you can do as you are a dependent with no military ID and as pointed out by question number 3 no POA to be allowed to do stuff on his behalf.

3: You can not get power of attorney over your husband unless he gives it to you. He has to go to a notary to have that done.

4: I don't know about gear cost in basic, but I do know that the few couple checks are quite small due to things that are deducted.
  7. Regular Member
    I can't guarantee anything (that's the military for you), but I had these exact questions and the following was true for Army BCT (I know you're a different branch):
    1) 30+ days...
    2) It's highly likely with your hubs... in a giant manilla envelope to be exact...
    3) What everyone else said about Power of Attorney - you had to have done it before he even left.... I only knew to do it because my daughter was critically ill and the hospital caught wind he was leaving/suggested it.
    4) Gear cost for Army was $400... not sure what it would be for you, but it cuts down your first few checks quite a bit.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for all of your responses. Turns out the recruiter had them but didn't know where they were and some information aboout our benefits were entered wrong. Although I the time I didn't know that for sure. I appreciate all the insight we got it figured out.