Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH when family is living overseas? Strange Question, I know...

1. Regular Member

Confused BAH when family is living overseas? Strange Question, I know...

Advertisements
    I've searched and can't find another post on this. I have a bit of a unique question. My job is 100% remote (out of the home). My husband just found out he's being deployed. I thought the kids and I could go visit distant family for 9 months during his deployment as our current lease will be ending about the same time. You only live once! However, I have a question I'm having a hard time getting an answer to. How is BAH figured if my children and I are actually living OUTSIDE the US (IE our permanent address is not stateside)...? Has this happened before?!
  2. Senior Member
    The BAH he receives for his family should not change. It will remain the amount for his permanent duty station - where he is being deployed from. Don't forget, you may also have issues with medical care if you move overseas.
  3. Senior Member
    So he is stationed in the States? BAH is based on the service members PDS (assigned base, aka Permanent Duty Station). It shouldn't matter where they family is. If he isn't stationed OCONUS, then it would get complicated.

So if he's stationed in Virginia (and deployed elsewhere), he will get BAH for his Virginia duty station, even though neither he nor you are there.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can only be in another country for 90 days. That is it. Your BAH will be based on where your house is. You can't get BAH overseas. Your best bet is to talk with Legal on that.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Senior Member
    For deployments it's based of the permanent duty station anyways. Make sure to check the local visa/passport rules for where you're visiting.
  6. Regular Member
    Thanks for all the replies! Glad to have the feedback... he's reserves, and in a newer unit, so there was not much knowledge to gain from the other spouses on this. Thanks again!