Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Retirement

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Medical Retirement

Advertisements
    Someone explain this stuff to me? Dh is possibly going to the med board. He's labeled as non deployable right now because of his profile on running.
    So far they say he can get medical retirement for his ankle injury (he will one day get to the point where its pain to walk short distances, right now he can walk just normal and fine, but running is painful but sort of do able) and his PTSD/Sleep issues from deployment.
    In September he's been in 9 years and we are waiting to see if he makes E6 next week.
    What sort of pay do you get, and benefits? I'm so confused and worried and stressed.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I can ask dh when he gets home, before he reported to this boat he was in charge of the limdu people so he knows all that stuff. Your husband will be assigned a disability percentage based on some weird calculations and that determines how much money he gets.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    I can ask dh when he gets home, before he reported to this boat he was in charge of the limdu people so he knows all that stuff. Your husband will be assigned a disability percentage based on some weird calculations and that determines how much money he gets.
    thanks! He has no clue how any of this works, and me asking questions just isn't helping us. We are both just stressed over this. Sucks cause he just decided he wanted to stay in and do 20, and now this!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Ok so they will assign a percentage based on the position of Mercury rising in the northern quadrant and the angle of the duck billed platypus' shadow. It's supposed to be the percentage that you aren't able to work - not walking can be like 60-70%. No one really knows how they figure the percentage but document everything because that is what they go off of, ONLY the things documented in his medical record. It could end up they say "Okay, you're not qualified for this job, the military can't use you but the civilian side you will have no problem getting a job - here's a severance package." Anything over 20% will be some sort of medical retirement. Anything under 20% is a separation with severance. While his med board is going on if anything new arises make SURE a doctor documents it, if you're not happy with the percentage that comes back you can resubmit with the new injury/documentation.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Ok so they will assign a percentage based on the position of Mercury rising in the northern quadrant and the angle of the duck billed platypus' shadow. It's supposed to be the percentage that you aren't able to work - not walking can be like 60-70%. No one really knows how they figure the percentage but document everything because that is what they go off of, ONLY the things documented in his medical record. It could end up they say "Okay, you're not qualified for this job, the military can't use you but the civilian side you will have no problem getting a job - here's a severance package." Anything over 20% will be some sort of medical retirement. Anything under 20% is a separation with severance. While his med board is going on if anything new arises make SURE a doctor documents it, if you're not happy with the percentage that comes back you can resubmit with the new injury/documentation.
    Just curiosity, but do you know if they use the same method of determining % as the VA does when you apply for disability? Is the rate of pay per percentage the same? Or are they totally different things?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I laughed way too much at that first part
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Just curiosity, but do you know if they use the same method of determining % as the VA does when you apply for disability? Is the rate of pay per percentage the same? Or are they totally different things?
    I asked dh and he said he has no idea about that, he doesn't know much about the VA end of things.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I asked dh and he said he has no idea about that, he doesn't know much about the VA end of things.
    AH ok! Thanks for asking. DH's cousin may be medboarding out so I'm just curious about it all now
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I'm not sure if it's different in Air Force versus Army but when DH was med boarded, he had to first go to some class explaining the process and they told us you needed 30% disability from the Army to qualify for medical retirement. DH got 10% from the Army and 20% from the VA. They assign a PEBLO officer (no clue what that means) and they basically walked him through the whole process and his paperwork. They file your VA paperwork with your med board paperwork now so it speeds up the process some and it saves them a headache for having to go file with the VA once they're out. The longest part was waiting for the ratings to come back, that took months! When he was waiting for his ratings, he got pretty lucky with what he was assigned to do because they needed emergency dispatchers so he got to learn a really good skill set to transition to civilian world. If he hadn't been assigned that, I'm not sure what he would of been doing, probably just a lot of desk work! He got his severance pretty quickly after his DD-214 was signed off on and that was pretty much it after that. The severance check wasn't bad, it was a huge lump sum where they paid out the rest of his contract I think and then there was some other factors included but I can't remember what. We had Tricare Prime for 6 months after his separation and had the option to sign up for their insurance plan but we went with his work insurance instead. I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything, his med board was a pretty painless process and he was collecting unemployment for a little while when he was job hunting so that helped alleviate a lot of the stress we had for finances.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

idk anything about this but for the worry and stress

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast