Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Expired dependent card

1. Regular Member

Expired dependent card

Advertisements
    My card expires in a few days and I wanted to know what happens if it lapses and I try to get it renewed? I have been to the office twice now and the printer broke the first time and the second time I didn't have the right form. It was pretty busy when I went in and people in the waiting room said i really should have an appointment and not just show up. Well they are booked till wednesday of next week

.....This is a side note but it reminds me of the first time I went in for a dependent card DH made me an appt 1 week postpartum and he was deployed. Well I showed up for my appointment on time and the guy in the office made me wait 45 mins so he could chit chat with his buddy. I broke down in tears. Swollen boobs, crying baby, and ripped up crotch makes for one unhappy momma!
  2. Moderator

If it lapses, it can mess up your DEERS and insurance coverage.

I would get all the forms together and go down there. You don't *have* to have an appointment, though it certainly makes it more time efficient if you do.
  3. Senior Member
    You might also have difficulty getting on base if it is expired. I'd call and them them you card expires so you can't wait until your appointment, and you'll be coming in today. Bring a book.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    You will need the same forms that you normally need and an extra form of identification since your military ID would technically not be valid because it's expired. I don't think you can go to medical until you get a new mil ID though. It also may be a little more challenging to get on base.
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone!!