Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get enlistment bonus?

1. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.

How to get enlistment bonus?

Advertisements
    DH has an enlistment bonus for a significant down payment on a house. We have the paperwork that shows the bonus and explains that we need to provide documentation of a pre-qualified home loan to receive it, but it doesn't explain who or what to provide this documentation to. Does anybody have any idea who I would contact about this? Maybe the finance office?

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Moderator

When my friend received a bonus to pay off debt, she had to go to finance. But that was several years ago. Could he go to whatever the Army equivalent of his 1st shirt would be (I don't know what that's called, 1st sgt maybe?) and ask?
  3. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    When my friend received a bonus to pay off debt, she had to go to finance. But that was several years ago. Could he go to whatever the Army equivalent of his 1st shirt would be (I don't know what that's called, 1st sgt maybe?) and ask?
    He got out last July so now more NCOs

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Senior Member
    Well I'm confused. The military normally settles up everything owed on the last check. So if he got out in July, how would he be getting money now that he is out?
  5. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Well I'm confused. The military normally settles up everything owed on the last check. So if he got out in July, how would he be getting money now that he is out?
    Because that's not the terms of the bonus. We actually have to show documentation that we're qualified/approved for a loan and then they will disburse the funds. Also, if we don't access the bonus within, like, 5 years after he separates then they'll just pay it out in cash. I didn't pay too much attention to the last part since we're not planning to wait that long.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Regular Member

I would take a copy of the contract, the documentation and go to an S1 at a Reserve unit. They can process the payment request on his behalf or give him better instructions on how to. You can also call DFAS themselves and see if they can give you direct instructions. It is probably easier to go to a unit though. DFAS is a pain to contact.

7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Ok, so I actually figured out what the name of the bonus is: Army Advantage Fund. Has anybody heard of this? It only ran for about a year so there's really not much info online at all.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    interesting.. never heard of that type of program (of course we were not Army).. Like another, I'm curious as to how they would give money when they got out. was the bonus awarded prior to him getting out (and if it was, is this like a first, second or 3rd installment), or was it awarded as an incentive for volunteering to get out?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    interesting.. never heard of that type of program (of course we were not Army).. Like another, I'm curious as to how they would give money when they got out. was the bonus awarded prior to him getting out (and if it was, is this like a first, second or 3rd installment), or was it awarded as an incentive for volunteering to get out?
    It was his enlistment bonus. And we're still not sure how it's supposed to be paid out. From what I've read online, the Army Advantage Fund only ran for about a year and half in just five locations. Nobody we've talked to (recruiters, finance, DFAS, etc.) has heard of it before, but we have DH's original contract showing that he signed up for it.

Here's an Army.mil article from when the program started: http://www.army.mil/article/7405/arm...ng-incentives/
    And one from when it ended: Several Army enlistment bonuses slashed | Army Times | armytimes.com

Somebody from DFAS is supposed to give us a call in 7-10 days so we'll see. I have no idea

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Hmm..
    There isn't a whole lot of info about other than what it is.
    Was he supposed to get the money after his 5 year installment?

My only experience with bonuses is 1/2 up front and the remaining over the years of the enlistment.

Be curious to see what DFAS has to say, but they would be the ones to contact since it should have been settled at his final out.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast