Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Have To Enroll In Tricare?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Do I Have To Enroll In Tricare?

Advertisements
    I am currently still living with my parents and will be until I finish my pre-nursing classes next semester. My fiance and I plan on getting married this summer. I am currently under my parents insurance and would like to stay under it until I move out, because I'd rather not have to deal with changing insurance plans until we've got everything worked out!

I would love to know if anyone has any information on this. Obviously they wouldn't force me to enroll in Tricare if I'm already covered (or I hope they wouldn't).

Thank you all!
    -Ky
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Tricare is free and you can have 2 insurances....so why not just sign up when you get married..? Or are you not eligible for your parents if you have backup? Why do you want to stay on your parents? Do they know you're getting married?

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I just thought it might be easier if I waited until I was on base with him. Don't I have to go to an AFB to enroll in Tricare (he's in the AF)? I don't think I will be able to get to one before I move in with him. And yes they do know.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You would have to go to a base to enroll in DEERS (i.e. be recognized as married in the military) for pay, Tricare and ID purposes. I stayed on my mother's insurance for a year after I was married because I could have stayed on until age 26 and she was paying for dependents on her insurance anyway, I left my dad's insurance because it seemed like overkill. Her insurance was always billed first and Tricare was the secondary insurance.

It doesn't hurt to have extra coverage and it's not like you're paying into it. Although, for dental insurance you would have to sign-up for it and pay monthly if you wanted it through the military.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    So will they still recognize the marriage if I havent enrolled in DEERS? I wont be able to move in with him or go to a base with him for at least 6 months after we marry.
  6. Senior Member
    When you get married, he will have to take in the marriage certificate and his records will change to show that he is married. That process puts you in DEERS. It has to be done. He cannot have a secret marriage. That also means you will automatically be enrolled in Tricare Standard. As long as your mother's insurance will allow you to stay on her policy after you are married, Tricare would just be your secondary insurance.
  7. Regular Member

Did the insurance policy change? I thought when you get married, have to get off your parents insurance because you are now longer considered a dependent. If you didn't report the marriage then I guess it would stay til you were no longer age eligible but for policy purposes, once you are married, you have to get off the parents. Did that change under ACA?
  8. Senior Member
    We found out after the fact that I could have stayed on my parents insurance even after I was married. Had no clue. Would have been easier/cheaper.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by armychica06 View Post
    Did the insurance policy change? I thought when you get married, have to get off your parents insurance because you are now longer considered a dependent. If you didn't report the marriage then I guess it would stay til you were no longer age eligible but for policy purposes, once you are married, you have to get off the parents. Did that change under ACA?
    It was before the ACA, when they moved the age up to 26 it included the married child but not the spouse or any children of the child.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Military will not recognize your marriage until you are enrolled in DEERS.
    You cannot be placed on orders until you are in DEERS.
    Cannot enroll into Tricare until you are put into DEERS.
    Cannot get an ID card until you are enrolled in DEERS.
    Ask you parents to check if their insurance will keep you if you get married.
    But yes, you can have both parents insurance and Tricare, one is primary, one is secondary.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast